Favorite Movie?

Alright so I did a quick little search to see if this was already done and I didn't find anything. The "Favorite Music" thread came out pretty interesting! So now what are your top 5 favorite movies? Yep that's right, I said top FIVE again :D and why (if you'd like to explain). Ok fine, you can do more than 5 again if you find it necessary :p I'll start it off...

Blow

American History X

Dumb and Dumber - hands down on that one

Back to the Future - classic

The Notebook - Yes, I know, quite girly of me. Can't help it though I thought that was a great movie. I guess I can be a sucker for some of those old fashion-styled love stories

...maybe I'd add a few runner ups now that I think of it...

The Departed - A lot of my friends thought it was dumb but I thought it was unpredictable and I liked it a lot

300 - mainly for the special effects, and energy! Definitely on the gorey side!

Goodfellas!

I'm living in the movie capital of the world, but I'm sooooooo behind on movies I'd like to see. I think the last one I saw in the theatre was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I never take the time to watch them at home, either.

That said, movies I'd put at the top of my list...

Highlander

Star Wars (the first three, anyway)

Saving Private Ryan (mostly for the surround sound...the first ten minutes is awesome in 5.1)

Schindler's List

Forrest Gump

There are quite a few others, but I'm drawing a blank and don't feel like going into the living room to check the titles in my meager DVD collection.

This should be a fun thread. :lurk:

5? Only 5? FIVE???? Are you kidding?

Well, ok - I'll give it a shot, seeing as how I can't sleep. :eek:

1) Battle of Britain {1969}
2) 2001 {1968}
3) Saving Private Ryan {1998}
4)[tie] Kelly's Heroes {1970}
4)[tie] Grand Prix {1967}
5)[tie] Blast from the Past {1999}
5)[tie] Star Wars ep.IV {1977}

See what I mean about 5? It took me 7 to get to 5. :rofl:

-Kevin in Indy

Just FIVE :eek:

Putting even just five in a 1 to 5 order is not easy :huh:

1) Star Wars >it came out when I was in Grade 7, or 8, I can't remember exactly, because top films came late to my hometown back then. I remember being so dazzled by it that when the film got out, we got back in line to see the second showing that day :D

2) Blade Runner > This movie came out the year I graduated from high school, and myself and my buddies had high hopes for it, as usual we had to wait a few weeks longer than most of the world to see it, and we read all kinds of bad reviews, we almost did NOT go to see it, but after we saw it, we wondered why all the bad reviews :huh: :dunno: We LOVED IT :thumb:

3) The Searchers > By far the best John Wayne movie made, and I've always been a big fan of the Duke, but this is the best, with John Ford directing, what more could you want :D

4) The Blues Brothers > "We're on a mission from God" :wave: Classic Movie, I love the humor, the car chases, and the music, oh man the MUSIC :headbang:

5) Unforgiven> A tough call on the last one, there are so many other movies that could fill this spot, but I really, really liked this movie, all the actors did an outstanding job, and the cinematography is stunning, showing how beautiful a wild untamed land can look like, with all of it's brutality on display at the same time.

A couple of Honorable Mentions:

Ferris Bueler's Day Off < What can I say, love it or hate it, I love it, we have the film on VHS, it is one that we will convert to DVD one of these days :D

The Last Waltz > Just simply the best concert documentary ever made :thumb:

Shane Loved this movie as a boy

The Outlaw Josey Wales Clint's second best movie :D

Citizen Kane This is a wonderful movie, at a very different pace that most anything you would see these days, truly a classic.

The Seven Samurai, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan...... so many others, it is really hard to pick just FIVE! :D

This makes me feel old! ;)

Chinatown

The Go-between

To have and to have not

Dr. Zhivago

Lolita (Kubrick's version with James Mason and sue Lyon)

There, that's five... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
  1. Practical Magic
  2. The Dark Crystal
  3. Roadhouse
  4. Time Bandits
  5. Wizards of Oz ties with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original one)

Brazil - Terry Gillium
The Battleship Potemkin - Sergei Eisenstein
Wild Strawberries - Ingmar Bergman
Jules et Jim - Francois Truffaut
Empire of the Sun - Steven Spielberg
Catch-22 - Mike Nichols
Z - Costa Gavras
Like Water for Chocolate - Alfonso Arau
The Killing Fields - Roland Joffé
The Year of Living Dangerously - Peter Weir
The Deer Hunter - Michael Cimino
North by Northwest - Alfred Hitchcock
My Life as a Dog - Lasse Hallström
Long Day's Journey Into Night - Sidney Lumet
Hiroshima Mon Amour - Alain Resnais
Farewell My Concubine - Chen Kaige
Eat Drink Man Woman - Ang Lee
Come Back, Little Sheba - Daniel Mann

Links go to Wikipedia

Last edited:
Schindler's List, Shawshank Redemption, True Romance, Fight Club... NICE! Forgot all those. There is quite the variety goin on here, that's awesome. This will be really fun to watch. It's funny to watch some of you yell at picking just 5. Made me lol :) You can say more of course, I just thought this way you would think REALLY HARD about your decisions :thumb: Some great movies mentioned already, though. Frank you have a very large list and I don't think I've heard of any of them. Are those all independent films? Keep it goin everyone!

Frank you have a very large list and I don't think I've heard of any of them. Are those all independent films?

Not really, many foreign and quite a few 30 or so years old.
I tend to like "Art Films" rather than "Mainstream"

Of the ones I listed, take a look at:

Empire of the Sun - Steven Spielberg

Based on J. G. Ballard's autobiographical novel, tells the story of a boy, James Graham, whose privileged life is upturned by the Japanese invasion of Shanghai, December 8, 1941. Separated from his parents, he is eventually captured, and taken to Soo Chow confinement camp, next to a captured Chinese airfield. Amidst the sickness and food shortages in the camp, Jim attempts to reconstruct his former life, all the while bringing spirit and dignity to those around him.

The Killing Fields - Roland Joffé

Sydney Schanberg is a New York Times journalist covering the civil war in Cambodia. Together with local representative Dith Pran, they cover some of the tragedy and madness of the war. When the American forces leave, Dith Pran sends his family with them, but stays behind himself to help Schanberg cover the event. As an American, Schanberg won't have any trouble leaving the country, but the situation is different for Pran; he's a local, and the Khmer Rouge are moving in.

The Year of Living Dangerously - Peter Weir

Guy Hamilton is a journalist on his first job as a foreign correspondent. His apparently humdrum assignment to Indonesia soon turns hot as President Sukarno electrifies the populace and frightens foreign powers. Guy soon is the hottest reporter on the story with the help of his photographer, half- Chinese dwarf Billy Kwan, who has gone native. Guy's affair with diplomat Jill Bryant also helps. Eventually Guy must face some major moral choices and the relationship between Billy and him reaches a crisis at the same time the politics of Indonesia does.

The Deer Hunter - Michael Cimino

Michael, Steven and Nick are young factory workers from Pennsylvania who enlist into the Army to fight in Vietnam. Before they go, Steven marries the pregnant Angela and their wedding-party is also the men's farewell party. After some time and many horrors the three friends fall in the hands of the Vietcong and are brought to a prison camp in which they are forced to play Russian roulette against each other. Michael makes it possible for them to escape, but they soon get separated again.

These are Hollywood productions.

I'm not much on top-whatever lists. I like lots of stuff, and each for different reasons. Here are some that pop into my head today...

For Families:
- Anything by Pixar (except Ratatouille, which I wasn't thrilled with) but especially "The Incredibles" and "Cars"
- "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"
- "The Parent Trap"
- "What's Up Doc?"
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (it's a 3-season Nickelodean show, but it was one big story. Watch it with your kids!)
- Shrek
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Fantasy/Adventure:
- Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
- Lord of the Rings trilogy
- the first Star Wars trilogy.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn.
- Stardust

Drama/other:
- Apollo 13
- Groundhog Day
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Set Your Way-Back Machine:
- Arsenic and Old Lace (1944, Cary Grant) - This is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Ever.
- all six of the "Thin Man" movies (1934-44, William Powell, Myrna Loy)

You need to be in the right mood for these:
- Beatles/A Hard Days Night
- Beatles/Yellow Submarine
- Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
- Real Genius (pretend you're a 19 yr old college student)
- Airplane
- Sean Connery Bond movies
- The Princess Bride

ttfn
...art