Favorite Movie?

Westley, you really make things hard by limiting us to just 5. But here are mine, in no particular order:

The American President - the end of this movie is awesome - the President's message in this movie is one that all of us should listen too - even my "rightie" husband loves this movie
Wyatt Earp/Tombstone - two movies about the same events - with very different perspectives
Gone With The Wind - yep, it's a chick flick, and I could watch it over and over
Saving Private Ryan - THE ultimate WWII movie
Cast Away - this movie told me that if there's anything in my life that I want to change, then I have to do it myself, cause often there is no one out there to do it for me. Take a risk!

they are all good, personally, I think the best movie every made was Spartacus.
I saw the movie Zulu in 3D in the Kingsway theatre on Kings Highway, it stayed on my favorite list for a long long time.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Every year the Saturday after Thanksgiving we all get together and watch it with a big pot of chile.

Wyatt Earp, with Kevin Costner. Historically more accurate than Tombstone which is entertaining, but not as good IMO.
The Replacements Fun to watch
We Are Marshall I remember when that happened
Remember the Titans more memories of days gone by
Pure Country Yeah, it was goofy but the theme was great (we get so caught up in the glitter of what we are doing, we forget why we do it)

Last edited:
Tough question. Some that come to mind:
Red Dawn
The Patriot
Rollerball (the original)
Solyent Green

These come to mind because they all represent man's determination that good shall prevail over evil.

Tom Jones (circa 1960's)
far and away the funniest movie ever made. Timeless. I would love to have a DVD of it.

In no particular order
Shawshank Redemption
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou
LOR
The Commitments
The Cutting Edge (yeah I know it's a chick-flick and puts my Man Club membership on probation but I never get tired of it)

How can I forget Big Man on Campus (1989) starring Allen Katz as Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga. A parody on "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", a hunchback is found living in the bell tower of UCLA. He is put on trial for competency then turned over to the psychology department to see if he can be mainlined back into society. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was never (legally) released on VCR in the U.S.

Here is my list of 5:

Smokey and the Bandit - still watch it if it's on TV
Godfather 1 and 2 - that counts as 1 right? :dunno:
Blazing Saddles - really any Mel Brooks movie
A Bronx Tale
Star Wars - the Original

I was a young boy when Star Wars was released. I remember that my Dad drove us 45 minutes to the theater to see that movie. I think it was his idea . . .

Cheers

Jim

I have to confess that I really don't find movies that entertaining. That said, here are five favorites that come to mind:

Napoleon Dynamite
Jeremiah Johnson
Princess Bride
Shawshank Redemption
Christmas Vacation

Last edited:
Slingblade

Shawshank Redemption

A League of Their Own

My Cousin Vinny (Marisa Tomei!!! :eek:)

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

These are five I can watch over and over again. If I had to pick the best movies I've seen, I'd go with

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Rainman

Scarface (Pacino)

Rocky

I guess being of an older generation (i.e. old fuddy duddy) I have slightly different tastes than most.

To Kill a Mockingbird

It's a Wonderful Life

Casablanca

Rear Window (Grace Kelly in that movie is a woman who I still dream about.)

Marty (Ernest Borgnine was wonderful as an average looking guy doing average things and finally finding love.)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I read these books over 40 years ago and loved them. It was great to see them brought to life in such a magnificent way. I bought the DVD's and watch them on long weekends.)

I must admit I like:

Broken Trail
Open Range
Armageddon
Green Mile
Empire of the Sun
Enemy Mine
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Dances with Wolves
Braveheart
The Patriot
Blade Runner
and Secondhand Lions....

Last edited:
Insightful question Westley - fun read as well.

Das Boot - even with subtitles it's a great movie.

Blade Runner - gotta love Syd Mead's vision

The Omega Man - yep, a '70's cliche, not the best movie in the world, but the images of the vacant city stuck with me.

The Bourne Identity - wow

Bullitt - good story, better car chase! Of course the French Connection and Ronin fit in this category as well.

A Christmas Story - I think we have the same boiler!

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House - required viewing for anyone thinking of building a house.

Henry V - who knew Shakespeare could be so riveting

The Worlds Fastest Indian - singular purpose in life sometimes I wish I could focus like Burt. Fitzcarraldo is a similar theme, though I don't think I'll be in the Amazon anytime soon.

Not a movie, but Band of Brothers is an outstanding piece of work.

Too many already - so many good movies - now I've got a longer list thanks to you guys!

Wes

Last edited: