Got a New Pen (and some other goodies)

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Got a box Wednesday from Pete Jordan...it had a gorgeous black titanium Sedona made from cocobolo, presented in a very nice maple pen box. It was part of a belated pen swap in which we were both late getting done, due to exploding blanks and my poor pen-turning skills. The pic Pete posted a few days ago doesn't do the pen justice. I'll try to get a better picture of it in the next few days. It's beautiful, and I'll use it with pride. :bow:

To fill up the space in the 12" x 12" shipping box, Pete added a nice big chunk of cherry burl. I'd take pics of it, but I was sealing some other wood tonight so I went ahead and waxed the burl, too. (It may be a few weeks before I can tear into it. I've got some other blanks that I need to use up before I lose them to cracking.) There were also a few other odds and ends of some nice figured woods rattling around in the box that should make some nice bottle stoppers and such. Then on top of it all, he included a set of three dental picks...perfect for digging worm trailings out of a piece of wood.

Thanks much, Pete. :thumb: I'll try to do the burl justice. (Unfortunately, the burl you sent a couple years ago pretty much turned to styrofoam as I was turning it. It didn't survive the ride, despite my attempts to harden the wood.) :bang: This one looks to be more solid. :D

Thanks again! :wave:

Sounds like a great selection of wood there, that will make some awesome turnings. Looking forward to seeing them!

Got a box Wednesday from Pete Jordan...it had a gorgeous black titanium Sedona made from cocobolo, presented in a very nice maple pen box. It was part of a belated pen swap in which we were both late getting done, due to exploding blanks and my poor pen-turning skills. The pic Pete posted a few days ago doesn't do the pen justice. I'll try to get a better picture of it in the next few days. It's beautiful, and I'll use it with pride. :bow:
Thanks again! :wave:

Are you implying that Pete's photography skills are less than his turning skills?:rofl::rofl:

That is a beautiful pen.:thumb::thumb: Cocobolo is a great wood to work with, you can get so many variations in the colors.