Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another point of veiw...

Another point of veiw...

Last edited by larry merlau; 02-14-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: un rest in the forum
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Man, it's hard to know who to believe. I agree with his general sentiment that we should pursue our local resources, but most experts believe that, even if we sucked up all of the oil under U.S. dirt, it would be enough to feed our consumption for a year and a half. And it would take nearly a decade to get any into our gas tanks should we start drilling today.
    I'm not totally convinced about the environmental friendliness of drilling either, though i'm not as doomsday about it as a lot of folks. Given the track record, bad things can and will happen.
    Then there's the whole global warming issue.
    Not that i'm pushing one way or another, but the oil industry, the global economy, and rising temperatures have given a lot of people reason to look into alternatives.

Last edited by larry merlau; 02-14-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

A physicist that I respect on a scientific computing mail-list, R. G. Brown, has communicated in an off-topic thread that nuclear will only last so long also due to worldwide resources of fissile materials, etc. Thus nuclear is not a permanent answer.

Now moving to my opinion, those fissile materials will undergo fission and release energy whether they are in a reactor powerplant or in the ground somewhere, so we may as well use them.

Also my opinion, there seems to be an exclusive focus on greenhouse gases leading to increased temperature climate change. I wonder how much two other factors contribute to this phenomenon. First, we as human society, through our record usage of energy are releasing a record amount of heat into the planetary system since not even the best Baldor motor is 100% efficient. Every time we use some sort of energy using device we are bleeding heat into the environment. Second, with more and more roads and parking lots being built daily, we are slowly transforming the planet closer and closer to a black-body absorber. It seems to me (meaning I am not looking at hard data as I type this, nor have seen such hard data ever at all) that asphalt does a much better job of absorbing heat than any gas, greenhouse or not.

Just my two cents.

There is so much information/misinformation going around, I don't know what to believe.
    One article I read several months ago said there are two giant underground coal mine fires, one in Russia, the other in China, that emit more CO2 and other noxious gasses into the air than all other factors in the world combined.
    If true, will my trading off my Dodge truck for a Prius help save the planet?
    (that's rhetorical, folks.)

Last edited by Jeff Bower; 02-16-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

deleted at Larry's request
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 02-14-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    I agree Frank. I live my life trying to be good to old mother earth, hope I'm helping, probably hurting her some too.

BTW isn't there a coal mine in the US on fire too? I know there are a few tire pile fires that have been buring for quite some time right?

There are several coal mine fires in the U.S. But the magnitude of the Russian and China fires dwarf what is in the U.S. None good but those two are, according to the reports, incredibly large.

deleted at Larry's request
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 02-14-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Deleted at Larry's request
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 02-14-2009 at 09:34 PM.