Thread: Cabinetry Question

Cabinetry Question

OK all youse experts. I am making my first cabinet with 15 drawers in it. This is for my pen making supplies. I bought 15 drawer slides and the drawers are going to be 20" deep. My question is how deep do you build the cabinet to allow a little clearance for the drawer, front to back? I can figure out the side to side spacing but I wonder what the standard is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Standard kitchen base cabinet is 24 inches deep.
    Actually that would be 22" as the Counter top is usually 24"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Standard kitchen base cabinet is 24 inches deep.
    then thats why the standard counter top is 25" figureing in a 1" overhang standard setup huh
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

my dishwasher finally conked out after 18 years and when we purchased a new one last week, I had no clue they were all standard size, of 24 inch width, same height. I never knew all kitchen counters were built same height.
    Learn something new every day.

I'm going with Chuck on this one. Don't forget, those are outside dimensions. 1/2" back and 3/4" face frame, and you're down to 22 3/4". YMMV.

Then, what kind of slides are they? I mean, how do they attach? If you already have the slides, and you haven't built the cabinet yet, you should try a mockup. You may need to adjust the depth of your cabinet to fit the slides...

Thanks,

Bill

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    For some good information do a search for posting from Tom Clark. His method of building shop cabinets is strong, fast, and VERY simple. The photos below is one that I built with his instructions. He also puts out a fantastic book that goes into more detail. I bought it after building this cabinet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8146 (Small).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	28826

Name:	IMG_8149 (Small).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	28827

Name:	IMG_8151 (Small).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	28828

Name:	IMG_8191 (Small).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	28829

Name:	IMG_8192 (Small).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	28830
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Heck, I must have not explained myself right. This is a pen supply cabinet for my workshop. ( I am starting a pen manufacturing business) The dimensions are already set because this will be a base cabinet for 2 sets of blueprint drawers. The drawers will be 20" deep going about 2/3rds of the way through with some bin type shelving on the back side of the cabinet to store exotic wood shorts.

I just wondered if you allow maybe 1/4-1/2" extra depth behind a drawer or do you just make sure it will fit. So do I make the cabinet depth 20" plus a smidgen, or do I make it 20-1/4" deep? I figure it doesn't really matter, but I just want to know. It's one of those diemaker perfectionist mental games I probably should see a therapist for.

Hey Royal, Thanks for the look. I might be able to use some of that. The problem is that I have the design figured out with staggered drawer sizes. I was going to dado the ply together to set the drawer openings. All 3/4" birch ply from big box reject bins. I could build it like your example for the bottom 6 drawers though and that would save me a few joints and pieces of ply.