sanding veneer...

James Edwards

I tried 180 Gr on a spare piece( ..actually a piece I screwed up :eek: )... and I didn't like the results.it didn't show the flame afterwards..I'm using figured mahogany veneer for the drawer fronts/door panels on my daughters chest of drawers(maple).
...do you folks usually sand your veneer before staining? Thanks...

hey mr Tod on the tape areas, after i hit with spirts it looks good but when dry looks like some reisdue showun up ,,its sanded to 180 now and will finish it off with 220 if need be

I dont know why this should be so but I notice a big difference with 180 grit (and 220) between garnet (redish/orange) and aluminum oxide (tan) sandpaper. To me, the surface after garnet looks much nicer but a lot of what's available at the big box stores is AO. What kind are you using?

I dont know why this should be so but I notice a big difference with 180 grit (and 220) between garnet (redish/orange) and aluminum oxide (tan) sandpaper. To me, the surface after garnet looks much nicer but a lot of what's available at the big box stores is AO. What kind are you using?

yep, it's AO... maybe I should look for some Garnett..

yup you gotta sand it.......hit it with spirits to look-see after sanding.
I agree with Tod. Mineral spirits sometime take a while to evaporate so I'll use lacquer thinner or alcohol if I want a quicker look - but look fast because you'll only see it when you wipe it on. It evaporates quickly.

Mike