DP Drum Sanding Table

glenn bradley

The thread about what to make out of scrap got me thinking about this again. I borrowed the basic idea from Wood Magazine IIRC. I've mentioned before about the scrap MDF and PB that LOML saves from the trash at her work. Here's some parts:

Drum-Sanding-Table-Parts.jpg

I made the insert the same size as my main drill press table insert. That way when I make blanks for one I will have them for both. The inserts are 1/2" BB ply and are the only thing in this guy that isn't reclaimed, including the screws. You can see a stack of the junk wood in the background:

Drum-Sanding-Table-Insert.jpg

I used T-nuts to have something to bolt to up through the DP table slots:

Drum-Sanding-Table-Tnuts.jpg

The drum goes here:

Drum-Sanding-Table-Insert-C.jpg

Or rather here:

Drum-Sanding-Table-drum.jpg

I'll seal the edges with some glue-size and then seal the whole thing. I still need to add the back and the drawers in the three bottom slots. I need to cut holes in a few more inserts for various drum sizes. The test drive with the vacuum attached worked very well.

Drum-Sanding-Table-oview.jpg

Last edited:
Cool!

Very nice! Once I actually get a DP, hopefully one like yours, I want to make something similar. Good Work! BTW, does it collect the dust well? At first glance I was wondering if drilling holes in the replaceable table plate might help.

Hutch

BTW, does it collect the dust well? At first glance I was wondering if drilling holes in the replaceable table plate might help.

Hutch

I make the hole 1/4" larger than the drum leaving an 1/8" gap all around. There is a narrow channel under the insert that leads to the hose-hole on the side. This seemed to be enough during the trial run but, that is far from serious sanding. Some extra holes may turn out to be the fix if the gap doesn't provide enough "escape" room. Thanks for the idea.

Glenn,

Nice job. I'd like to make one to fit my bench model Delta 14" press. I think using your design but cutting it down to just the first shelf below the table might work.

Are those 4 blind holes aroung the insert?

Thanks for the idea.

Aloha, Tony

Are those 4 blind holes aroung the insert?

Yeah, I stole that idea off of my Woodpecker DP table that is mounted to my main DP. They just let you get a grip on the insert when you want to remove it. The DP I'm using for sanding is a 14" machine just for size reference. I use it just for sanding so I made the table plenty big as it never comes off. The plan I borrowed from was for a smaller table that just clamped on when you wanted to use it.

Ah, here it is. I couldn't find it earlier:

Attachments

• p_drumsanding.jpg
    p_drumsanding.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 31
Yeah,

I think that would work, but I also think I have enough room below the table for that one shelf too. :thumb:

I wish I knew how you guys do the arrows and words on a photo, :dunno: so I could show you instead of telling you (which I don't do such a good job of) :rofl:

Thanks, Tony

I had some Amber Shellac that was just about to go south. I hit it with some Brown Trans Tint and used it to seal this guy. A few coats on the top and then some wax and everything moves real smooth.

I had made an adjustable 'leg' to assist with leveling but Grandpa's DP seems to be OK as is. The 1/8" gap around the drums takes care of the dust and very little gets away. I haven't decided on drawers or slide out holders for the odds and ends yet so I'll just stuff things in there for awhile till I figure it out. Hope this helps out or nudges.

Attachments

• Drum-Sand-Tab-Fin-Right.jpg
    Drum-Sand-Tab-Fin-Right.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Drum-Sand-Tab-Fin-Rear.jpg
    Drum-Sand-Tab-Fin-Rear.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 18
  • Drum-Sand-Tab-Fin-Left-1.jpg
    Drum-Sand-Tab-Fin-Left-1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: