Thread: Oh Boy........... More Computer "Stuff"

Oh Boy........... More Computer "Stuff"

Look at this...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funky_screen.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	28861

Every now and then I get this happening to my computer at home, this time around I had to log off and back on to get things to return to normal.

I wonder if there is any way to figure out if it is just the graphics card or the mother board? The computer is NOT new............. Time to get that iMac I guess
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Do you have another monitor or video card from one of the other computers you've replaced? Worth a shot. I had a monitor go south on me about a year ago. It didn't look exactly the same, but would do some funky thinks with the image. I could do the same thing, turn it off, and wait a minute, then back on, and it would work for awhile. You might see if just turning off the monitor without turning the computer off does the same thing. If so, I'd say monitor. If not, I'd go to the video card first. Hope this helps! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Not the monitor, I replaced the old monitor about 6 months ago, on the old monitor I would sometimes get the same thing, not often, like less than once a month, and I'd only have to close the browser to get things back to normal, now I have to log off to get things back, even the desktop goes funky

I'll have to look, but my fear is the "Graphics" card is "on board" with the mother board, which could really mean it is time for a new computer
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    snip

I'll have to look, but my fear is the "Graphics" card is "on board" with the mother board, which could really mean it is time for a new computer
    Not necessarily. You can still add a graphics card to one if you have a slot to put it in. The Dual Core machine I built my wife about 2 years ago is an Intel MB with built in graphics and audio, but we have separate cards for both on it and it works fine. So if you have another card, try it and see what happens. If it works, more money for wood and tools!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Lightbulb

Hi Stu,
    .... Sometimes just taking out the video card and reinserting it will do the trick. I have had similar experiences. Try NOT to use too much force when reinserting the card and make sure the alignment is correct ( not too much force or pressure on either side of the motherboard's PCI or AGP connector). Give it a try, you haven't got anything to loose.

Look at this...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funky_screen.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	28861

Every now and then I get this happening to my computer at home, this time around I had to log off and back on to get things to return to normal.

I wonder if there is any way to figure out if it is just the graphics card or the mother board? The computer is NOT new............. Time to get that iMac I guess
    Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .

I think you've said before that you run all your computers on a UPS, so it's probably not power related. I'd take the other suggestions and re-insert the card or try other parts to see if it goes away.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yep, UPS all the way, and the power supply was replaced about a year ago, with a much better unit.

I've yet to check to see if there is a card to remove and replace, or if it is "On Board".

Thanks for the suggestions
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,
    I personally subscribe to either of these two methods myself.

Yep, UPS all the way, and the power supply was replaced about a year ago, with a much better unit.

I've yet to check to see if there is a card to remove and replace, or if it is "On Board".

Thanks for the suggestions
    Other things...
    - when the card is out, make sure the connections are clean, and vacuum out any dust in the PC case. Don't let dust block/impede the fans. Make sure the fans all work.
    - check the video cable connections, are they tight? Are there any kinks in the cable? Do you have a spare video cable that you can swap with this one?
    - double check the connections at the monitor end also.

...art
    ps: and Apple still has not put out new iMacs, so if you can wait a bit longer...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Thanks Art!
    William Arthur Ward