Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite source for pen kits?

What is your favorite source for pen kits?

OK folks,
    with the warmer weather and a couple of deals I've lucked into, I've got a bunch of blanks but only a couple of kits. What is your favorite source for pen kits... I've only used woodcraft or Rockler so far, but I'd like to buy some more kits from a decent source.

I know of a few good ones, Arizona Silhouete, Berea, and CSUSA, any others I should know about?
    -Ned

I've bought most of mine from Arizona Silhouette. I wasn't happy with the service I got from Berea, but I know a lot of folks who've had good experiences. I do like the Berea kits, and Arizona Silhouette sells them.

No personal experience, but I've read that http://woodturningz.com has PSI products for a better price than PSI. I've turned a few PSI kits and been happy with them.

I think most of the major kit manufacturers make decent products, but IMHO it's worth the extra expense to buy good plating. The entry-level gold kits don't hold up as well as the other more expensive ones do.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bear Tooth Woods, Wood-n-whimseys are two more that come to mind. Rockler and Woodcraft are Berea resellers. The gold ones are low end unless marked titanium gold. I have best luck with chrome and black titanium. If I am in a hurry I go to Rockler since they are closer than Woodcraft. Another thing you can do is use a Streamline kit and modify the heck out of it. Drop the centerband, eliminate the center altogether, closed end purse pen.

I get mine mostly from Ernie at BearTooth Woods. Good to deal with.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dale,
    thanks! I recently ordered from wood n whimsies, and was very pleased with his service, it was filled within an hour and I received it in less than 3 business days!

the colored blanks are from wood n whimsies, the others from an IAP member who offred a small flat rate box: Mixed unlabeled blanks :

a random mix of Cumaru, Ipe, Birdseye Maple, Jatoba, Bubinga, Santos mahogany and others. I got 22 'exotic' blanks for .45c ea including shipping!

I picked up two copper slimlines from wood n whimsies... looking forward to putting them into a pen or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blanks a.jpg   blanks m.jpg  
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 02-14-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    -Ned

I agree with the responses. I have dealt with Ryan at Woodturningz & can honestly say he can get you anything that is in the PSI catalog cheaper & I have never been disappointed. He threw in a few blanks of wood cause it took 1 day longer then it should have. (it took 4 days instead of 2 or 3)

90% of mine come from Craft Supply USA (Woodturners Catalog). I'll buy an occasional speciality kit from others but not often. I limit the models I make and keep a small inventory.
    Can't remember the last time I actually bought a wood blank. Even exotics come to me with trades and such.

Frank,
    I figure I've got a Ton of blanks now, so from here on out I probably won't buy many more. The flat rate box was cheaper than the last swap I was in, and I got more blanks out of the deal. I do need to order some more kits, however. The IAP forums have me itching to turn some pens!
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 02-14-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    -Ned

I predominantly use Woodturningz.com. Great folks to deal with, super opportunities and prices. Can't say enough good.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

There is a pen swap starting up on thepenshop.net if you are interested.