It's official, I am in Business

way to go jeff!:thumb:

but i do have to agree with the others in saying, make sure you cya six ways from sunday. don't forget about figuring load limits for these kayaks. one would think that they have a tendency to behave differently with someone 160 lbs, or with someone 230 lbs sitting in the cockpit. don't forget waivers too. there's a reason why they have big labels on ladders saying "do not stand on the top rung".... :dunno:

I have tossed this idea around for a long time and my Buddy Randy has sort of been nudging me along to take those first steps. So I guess today is opening day of my new business. Production has officially started today at Kudzu Craft. Kayaks and Greenland Paddles.

I have been thinking and investigating this for over a year. I finally gave in and decided to make my first boat to sell. We discussed what would make a desirable boat that was different than what was on the market. Since Randy buys and sells kayaks he talks to a lot of people.

One of the big things that convinced me was people are always wanting light weight boats. Most plastic boats are 50+ lbs. The Skin boats I am interested in are easy to keep at 35 lbs or less.

Randy and I worked on a set of design goals and I have spent the past 2 or 3 months working on the new design. It has gotten to the point there is nothing left to do but build one. So today I started production on Hull #1.

View attachment 28876 View attachment 28877

The first thing you will notice is the bow have a reverse curve. I thought that complimented the idea I had for the stern. It's sort of a cross between a Aleutian Bairdaka and a Fantail Launch. I have to work out exactly how I am going to build that, but I love the look. It tapers from the round stern into an almost rudder shape.

I will post some photos on my web site as I go along. I expect to have this one built in 4 weeks or so.
Jeff

I got layed off due to a plant closing in Dec, 2004

I was a manufacturing engineer for 25 plus years

I decided to try my hand being a handyman - I likes it - but quickly found out that there is more to it than just banging nails.

So - I bought a national Franchise "Mr. Handyman" - I closed the franchise cause I could not get it off the ground in the end of 2006

I went back into industry in early 2007 as manufacturung engineer - and there is where I am today

BUT

I cannot give up the quest - that plagues all entrepeneurs - that is, being self employed.

Soo - as a side business I have Misha Custom Signs & Crafts.

I congratulate you - it is certainly a big step - and remember - if the first try fails - DON'T give up -- try something else.

There are many successful businessmen that filed bankruptcy before they became successful.

DON'T GIVE UP

Quitters never Win & Winners never Quit.

Good luck and all my best wishes to you!!:D:D

Well done Jeff. Great news on another small business being born.

I would like to suggest that given you are targeting people who would want a lighter boat with a sleek fast design you might add to that the element of custom fitting since you are surely going to make to order and in that event would know who your customer is before you do.

This would give you a really strong USP ( Unique Selling Proposition) that is the key to really succesful businesses today.

I would suggest that you devote an equal amount of energy to the marketing aspect of your business as to the design and manufacture of the boats. Sales dont occurr without marketing and most techinical people including us woodworkers are not great at the marketing and sales aspect.

Best of luck.

As another guy who is self employed and has run several small businesses, I'll add my "Got for it" to the thread as well :thumb:

I've also had to close and or give up a most of those businesses along the way, things change, and sometimes you just have to move on, but that don't stop one from trying.

I don't know much about boats, but I was told once by a friend who's family owned a boat building company Campion in my hometown, he said that usually, if a hull looks right, it often is right, so I'd have to say, even to my untrained eye, you hull looks right to me :thumb:

Jeff,

Good luck on your new venture! :thumb:Can wait to see the first one you turn out.

I have tossed this idea around for a long time and my Buddy Randy has sort of been nudging me along to take those first steps. So I guess today is opening day of my new business. Production has officially started today at Kudzu Craft. Kayaks and Greenland Paddles.

I have been thinking and investigating this for over a year. I finally gave in and decided to make my first boat to sell. We discussed what would make a desirable boat that was different than what was on the market. Since Randy buys and sells kayaks he talks to a lot of people.

One of the big things that convinced me was people are always wanting light weight boats. Most plastic boats are 50+ lbs. The Skin boats I am interested in are easy to keep at 35 lbs or less.

Randy and I worked on a set of design goals and I have spent the past 2 or 3 months working on the new design. It has gotten to the point there is nothing left to do but build one. So today I started production on Hull #1.

View attachment 28876 View attachment 28877

The first thing you will notice is the bow have a reverse curve. I thought that complimented the idea I had for the stern. It's sort of a cross between a Aleutian Bairdaka and a Fantail Launch. I have to work out exactly how I am going to build that, but I love the look. It tapers from the round stern into an almost rudder shape.

I will post some photos on my web site as I go along. I expect to have this one built in 4 weeks or so.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Congrats! I hope your business does as well as your drawings look.
Owning your own business is a great joy and a minor PIA. Until I got into my 80s I owned my own businesses. These were run simultaneously.

I now work a couple days a week. This also a PIA, but not as much fun as being the owner. It does have some BIG advantages...I don't have to take care of anything. If it is broke, I say, "Fix it." I don't have to hire or fire people. I don't have to deal with the government, etc.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
I have been self employed for .... close to 15 years? So nothing new here.

And this is just a side line/cottage industry for now. Maybe it will be what I do full time when I get to old to crawl under houses.