Walnut Writing Desk

iv'e been planning to make a writing desk from this piece of walnut for a few years- started it yesterday-
DSCF0004-27.jpg

the board is 75"long 13"wide at the middle and 2plus"thick-i squared it up a few years back -so it's ready to resaw now-
DSCF0009-21.jpg

DSCF0012-13.jpg

DSCF0016-8.jpg

to made the side joint i hold them in place with clamps and take couple of good passes on the jointer then i take a couple of light passes
DSCF0024-14.jpg

DSCF0028-6.jpg

the final jointing i do by hand-the trick to planning both boards at the same time is that the iron be set square so the cut is the same across the blade i take a couple of light passes
DSCF0033-5.jpg

then with a light behind the boards i mark the high spots
DSCF0005-20.jpg

i clamp the boards back together and work the high spots with shorter planes-i have to do this two are three times
DSCF0006-35.jpg

DSCF0014-11.jpg

part one-

part two-
i cut the ends square-
DSCF0010-18.jpg

i like the way the bookmatch looks - when i put the finish on the high lights will really show up-the whorls in the grain-
DSCF0015-16.jpg

DSCF0019-11.jpg

i plane out the bandsaw marks -easer to do now while the pieces are apart-after it's glued up it will be little harder to manage-of course i could do this with machines but i'm not in that big of a hurry-
DSCF0020-7.jpg

DSCF0018-9.jpg

more to come---alex

OK Edward, I get excited when I see that a new project in the works by you :D Just know its going to be something special :thumb: Look forward to the progress

Tom

I'm not into hand tools but the planes you show are beautiful pieces. The wood you are working is nice looking stock. This will be a good thread to follow:thumb:

I know what you mean Royall, I showed this thread to the LOML and had to explane that the plane was a tool he made, not the project :p

thanks alex for letting us in on this build, and the step by step of it is great. we can almost smell the walnut and hear the whips of the planes as you smooth it out.. that is, those who know the feel and sound before this:)

Last edited:
thanks alex for letting us in on this build, and the step by step of it is great. we can almost smell the walnut and hear the whips of the planes as you smooth it out.. that is, those who know the feel and sound before this:)

I don't whip my planes; I talk real nice to them and hope for the best.

Hi Alex,

Nice looking walnut. What type of lower structure are you planning?

lee - to describe what the base of this piece will look like-well as iv'e said before "i'm not one for detail drawings just a sketch are two sometimes -this piece will involve steam bending , molding layers of veneer into curved panels and a little smoke and mirrors--a few years back i made this big desk- this desk i'm working on now is like the junior-though with more curves-the way it will be put together will be the same--
b-2.jpg

more to come----alex

alex, beautiful wood, wonderful looking planes. that desk is just phenomenal. i love your style. i hope you plan to show how you attached the legs. i designed something similiar to this for a media console, funny thing is i was gonna make it out of walnut also. of course my design cannot compare to yours, mainly just similiar in construction.

thanks for posting. and by the way, i love your attitude towards the work. so often i get in a hurry to finish a project and forget to enjoy what i am doing. thanks for reminding me to slow down and enjoy the process.

chris