back injury recovery

About four months ago I joined a gym to lose weight, get healthier, etc., etc. About three months I went and injured my back at the gym.

I've been off Alleve (naproxen sodium) since Friday and it is still at about a 1 on the old 1 - 10 scale. It's the middle of February, so I'm thinking that maybe by the beginning of April I will hopefully be all better and can start slinging plywood in the shop once again to work on some projects.

Hmmm ... beginning of April ... that'll be just about time for Larry to stop by, so I'll be fit to wrestle him away from my RAS and lathe in case his long time of driving causes him to lose his senses. Then again, why would I want to get in between a friend and my tools? :rofl:

I have to joke about this, because while I'm feeling better, I strongly suspect that I still need to take it easy or I'll make it worse again. Got a little cabin fever going on here. :( Anyhow, I do know that a few months now will give me years afterward, so here I wait lurking and posting. :wave:

Bad backs are tough!

I'm assuming you have visited a doctor to get their take on the situation?

Several years ago I wrenched my back rough housing with my 7 year old son. It took several weeks of multiple per week visits to the chiropractor to get me feeling better. That said I'm not truly sold on the chiropractic solution.

Anyway, I must have been feeling better because about a year after that I built a retaining wall using CST Wall stones. Those thing go 90# a piece. I lost track of how many stones are in the final project but it's conservatively over 200. By the end of that project my back was in an uproar again.

At that point I talked to my GP (General Practitioner) and was referred to a Physical Therapist. The PT gave me a regimen of stretching and strengthening exercises to do. I did them till I felt better at the time. I now do the stretches when I feel things "tightening up".

I feel by back is 99.44% good and given what I've done to it that's pretty good. If you haven't already done so I would consult with a doctor and investigate what treatment is possible.

We want you in shape if Larry needs help getting your lathe into the truck!

Cheers

Jim

To paraphrase the line from "Wear Sunscreen" - be kind to your back, you'll miss it when it's gone...

Ditto all the good advice on taking care of your back. The LOML has been in a good deal of pain since Christmas when she wrenched hers. It's been very hard on her and recovery has been slow.

Take care.

Sorry to hear the news about the back. I fell off a roof about 10 yrs ago at work and busted my back ( compression fracture of T-12) lost 68% of my vertibra. My sister is an RN and the first thing she told me was to start walking. It strengthens the core muscles and off sets the work the back muscles do. Of course this is something that you want to talk with your doc about first. At the time of my injury I had been been doing lots of skiing and was in great shape (they say that helped me) . Doc was amazed that I was even still walking.