An Elm Something.

Chas this topic could spark off some real debate if everyone could only hear how they pronounce the word "Vase".:rofl:

Given where you are and where I come from we were taught vase is pronounced vaaahse. In USA and sometimes in Canada, it is Vaise or vayyse.

Luckily the forum removes this pronunciation.

Great looking vaaahse by the way.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chas,
English elm appears to be somewhat darker than American elm... I have quite a bit of elm that I need to get started on or the ants are going to eat it all... it's still laying on the ground where it was cut last year..

Chas,
English elm appears to be somewhat darker than American elm...

Chuck, I would not say this particular tree is typical of English Elm, this specimen has a particular rich red cast, usually it is browner and tends to a light milk chocolate appearance, invariably with significant grain reversals.

Unfortunately English Elm stocks are virtually exhausted since Dutch Elm disease. Just a few standing trees left, the rest only exist as hedgerow saplings sprouting from the old stumps which succumb to the beetles at about 30ft high.

As a matter of interest this particular tree came from Wales and even in 4" slab form has a high proportion of burl figuring.

That piece is very pretty... 'course I like almost any wood.

The elm I have is more of a gold/tan color. Not much burl features though. Makes some really nice pieces and as I said, I need to get off my duff and get busy with a chain saw before the ants and termites turn it into sawdust for me.