Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer Planer Question

Jointer Planer Question

Okay, I know this is not the correct way of doing this, but I don't have a jointer so here goes. I have African Mahogany that is rough ( not too rough, but not finished either) on all 4 sides. Can I just run these pieces through my planer and then use a router with a straight bit to clean one edge?

Thanks for any help in advance.

DKT

That will work if there is no twist to it.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich Trenner View Post
    Okay, I know this is not the correct way of doing this, but I don't have a jointer so here goes. I have African Mahogany that is rough ( not too rough, but not finished either) on all 4 sides. Can I just run these pieces through my planer and then use a router with a straight bit to clean one edge?

Thanks for any help in advance.

DKT
    Kind of.... ideally you want to Joint one side and one edge. This will give you an accurate 90 deg. corner to reference from. Then you would plane the side opposite that you jointed flat. Then you would only have one rough edge remaining. This would be fixed by ripping the edge using the jointed edge as a reference against your table saw's fence.

But getting back to your question.... if you just run the board through the planer, the planer will duplicate the unevenness of the side that is facing down (not being planed). If you had to, you could do this. but pick the flattest side to be down. then you will probably need to sand or hand plane the high spots.

I would see if you can find someone who can joint your board for you (1 side & 1 edge). It will save you a potential head ache.

As far as jointing the edge with a router.... the best way would be to used the router in a router table. If you would like more info on how to use a router table as a jointer, just let me know.

hope this helps!
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    That will work if there is no twist to it.

Jay
    Thanks, I just love this forum, the replies come fast and are useful. I have a friend (50 miles away) that has a jointer, so maybe I will do this the right way. The wood is for my grand daughter's rocking chair so it has to be nothing but the best. Thanks again for all replies.

DKT

That kind of wood is expensive where I live. I would make the drive or (probably faster) build a planer sled. It will get you through this build and any others down the road. This one got me by without a jointer for a long time.

Top view:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planer-Sled-Top.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	28994

It is low profile but the torsion box construction has kept this flat for years:

Name:	Planer-Sled-bottom.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	28995

These cleats and wedges are the adjustment mechanism:

Name:	Planer-Sled-cleats.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	28996

The bungee keeps the cleats on board (no pun intended):

Name:	Planer-Sled-bungee.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	28997

It will adjust for some severely whacked boards:

Name:	Planer-Sled-adjustments.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	28998
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I cant offer more than my amateur experience, but this link
    http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=6136

shows a ripping jig made by Tod Evans that you can probably make in 10 minutes, and it will get you a perfect ripped edge.

If you dont build anything else, try to even out the high and low spots by hand as close as possible, then pass it through planer with the flat side face down away from the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ..... This one got me by without a jointer for a long time.
    I'm intrigued by your sled design and have some questions. As I understand it the piece to be jointed rides on the sled through the planer adjusted for any bumps and twists? I was thinking about just using carpet tape to tack on two narrow wood pieces the length of the board and then run the mahogany through the planer. I think that might work. Yes, the mahogany is expensive, but what don't you do for a grand daughter.

DKT

What is your location? If you ask, there my be a family member that would let you use the jointer. To answer your question, yes a jointer will work. You will need to take really ligth passes, say 1/32 at a time. This will remove the wood without following the bend /twist of the board. However this may not leave the board perfect.

You can also joint one side fairly flat by putting the board on a router jig with 2 parallel straight rails and mounting your router on a flat board (ply/mdf/etc) to ride the rails. Then go to the planer after that to get the opposite side, then flip it over to clean up the routed side. Somethiing like a large diameter mortising bit and lots of passes and chips all over the place but it will work.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Dietrich,

Lots of plans here:

http://tinyurl.com/aghxzf

and here:

http://tinyurl.com/d8k98z

They don't replace a jointer, but they'll do for a while...

Thanks,

Bill