shop rent?

larry merlau

have any you folks rented out your shop to someone that you trusted?
and if so what is a fair price?
are there any other things one needs to consider?

i was approached last night for the use of mine for approx, 3 days from a long time friend. he has offered to pay for the use of it, but i have no clue as to how much to charge or if i should do it period. any advice would appreciated.. this person is expiernced in using the shop tools. has been in the building trade for many years. need to make a decision by the end of the week. thansk for your help in this

larry, the first thing that comes to mind is lawsuit. sure he's a long time friend but if something were to happen and he hurt himself you could be liable. i am not a lawyer so i don't know for sure. but it's something to think about.

having said that it's a sticky situation. because i would let certain friends come use my tools, matter of fact i have already offered that to some of them.

price is hard. because it almost seems like to make it worth it to charge him the price would have to be too high.

what will he be doing in the shop? will he be dulling your blades and cutters? will he need the entire shop to himself meaning you cannot use it for 3 days?

think about what one sharpening for all cutters he will use would cost. then go from there. I am sure he will burn some electricity but not a bunch, what about fuel for heat (can't remember how you heat your shop)

i am sure there are more things to consider.

hope that was some help
good luck with your decision

Larry...

I'll be interested in what you finally decide and how it turns out. I have a basic rule...I don't loan my tools. It's not so much the problem that they have a hard time finding their way home, and in your case that wouldn't even enter into it. It's the issue of damage, and just plain wear and tear. Most people I know who would borrow a tool would feel obligated to repair/replace in that event, but it can be a gray area. Suppose a tool was going to break the next time someone used it, and that someone was the borrower...should he replace it?...how do you even know that that was the situation? Maybe a tool acts a little "funny" the next time you use it...did the borrower do something? I've watched people use tools in a way I wouldn't, yet they would say they don't use their tools "hard"...matter of perspective. Fine by me, just don't use mine that way. I have told a couple folks that if it's a small job bring it over and I'll do it for you. But right up front I say come on in, have a homebrew, but I don't loan my tools.

Good fences make good neighbors they say...not loaning tools has the same effect.

And of course there's the potential legal issue that Chris mentioned.

Cheers.

If you are not now insuring your shop and tools for commercial purposes, then no. Your homeowners does not cover it. Check with your insurance company. Many assume their homeowners cover them, but as soon as you accept the penny related to your shop and tools you are not covered.

How do I know this? I taught a "Woodworking as a Business" course when I was teaching woodworking. Part of the drill was to invite in the professionals in the field. That included the insurance people. One versed in home insurance, one in commercial insurance. It was an eye-opener everytime.

Bottom line? Don't assume anything. Don't assume nothing will happen. Don't assume that because he is your friend, he won't drop a lawsuit on you. Or his wife will should he drop dead while there. Don't assume you are covered insurance-wise.

Stuff happens. How great is your risk tolerance? Talk to YOUR insurance agent.

FWIW.

Larry,
longtime friend= help him out and let him use it.
It wasn't all that long ago that my Mentor opened up his shop to me, with no consideration of the liability issues, just a woodworker passing on some of his knowledge. Obviously this is a different case, but I'd say that at Most, a sharpening would be the maximum I'd hope for out of the deal.

Last edited:
well here is the stats on this he isnt making money from this adventure,,its 3 cabs for his daughter who is going to be cuttin hair for a living. as for the timeing goes i figured so far i could have him use it, while i was at work and would tell him up frt, that the wknds were mine! as for law suits thanks fo rthe info i surmized that.. and he has never done that with anyone ,, but there is always a first time..as for the dropping dead part that hit kinda close to home carol... i found his dad that way on the ice several years back,, we are close and i was close to his dad as well.. so your right things can happena dn i would be foolish to think differntly..years agao i used his and his dads shop on a couple instances not for this long of a period as i remember but still i used it. i do remeber a comment about the cleanup one time, that i hadnt made the mess of.. but people are strange sometimes and the otherhting yu folks brought up was the doubt when it starts back up and sounds funny..:huh:alot to think about, but i dont want to be a snub nosed jerk either,,

Wat Chris said. Loaning use of the shop is one thing. If he gets hurt, your homeowners insurance will cover you. But, if you rent, it becomes a business thing and you could end up paying for the rest of your life if he loses his fingers. If a friend, I would allow him to use free and I would hang around to 'supervise' and assist.

Wat Chris said. Loaning use of the shop is one thing. If he gets hurt, your homeowners insurance will cover you. But, if you rent, it becomes a business thing and you could end up paying for the rest of your life if he loses his fingers. If a friend, I would allow him to use free and I would hang around to 'supervise' and assist.
Wise counsel. :thumb:

Larry

Lawsuits

Everyone thinks that lawsuits are from an individual, actually many if not most lawsuits are from one insurance company trying to recover money.

In other words he gets hurt and his medical has to pay out, then they sue you to recover the costs.

If money doesn't change hands then your homeowners might stand behind you but they may be looking for loopholes..

Now even knowing this I usually let people use my tools and shop.

Garry

Larry

Lawsuits

Everyone thinks that lawsuits are from an individual, actually many if not most lawsuits are from one insurance company trying to recover money.

In other words he gets hurt and his medical has to pay out, then they sue you to recover the costs...Garry

Garry has it right. Your friend might not sue you, but his insurance company won't hesitate for a heartbeat. They want their money back - NOW!

Larry

Lawsuits

In other words he gets hurt and his medical has to pay out, then they sue you to recover the costs.

If money doesn't change hands then your homeowners might stand behind you but they may be looking for loopholes..

Now even knowing this I usually let people use my tools and shop.

Garry

Either insurance companies, or lawyers. I was involved in a truck/pedestrian suit once, I got to the deposition, stated that: I'd been driving down the street, saw some kids and slowed down, but a child ran out from the other side of the road and I hit her. (insert gasp here.... (she tumbled, got some road rash and bit her tongue, no other injuries))
This was in front of the judge the lawyers and the plaintiff. Then the lawyers asked her mother if they could ask the child what happened.
"Oh I just ran across the street, I didn't even look"

At that point the other lawyers closed their legal pads, packed up their satchels and we all shook hands and went home. I'm certain that it was the lawyers who pressed the suit. That was almost 20 years ago. I'd still be paying on the damages if it had gone any other way.

well larry, after years of consideration, mulling, and downright thinking about it, here is my 2 cents. as the secondary currency of minnesota is beer, that is a good idea. so here goes, he supplies the beer (for consumption after the day's work in the shop is done), you provide the shop, your advice & expertise. a fine opportunity for some prime male bonding.

well if these lawyers were to be asked to get some restitution from my insurance company, can they also get it from me personally ? and on the other side, what if i dont have a pot of gold to grab? this guy could have left the shop last night and just fell over and broke his back and i am in the same situation as long as i dont charge correct?

well if these lawyers were to be asked to get some restitution from my insurance company, can they also get it from me personally ? and on the other side, what if i dont have a pot of gold to grab? this guy could have left the shop last night and just fell over and broke his back and i am in the same situation as long as i dont charge correct?

One can sue and collect from both the individual and the insurance company. Yer pot of gold may be small but it is all you have and it is possible, if you lose a suit, that the plaintiff gets everything plus future earnings. Doesn't usually happen that way though. If insurance pays, that's the end of it most of the time.

...as for law suits thanks fo rthe info i surmized that.. and he has never done that with anyone ,, but there is always a first time...

Keep in mind a lawsuit isn't necessarily filed by the person hurt. It can also be their insurance provider who decides to sue to recoup their losses. ;)

With a family friend like this, Tod's suggestion sounds like the way I'd go.