shop rent?

Larry, you might want to check yer laws in Michigan.
In Arkansas we have, what I consider, a very good law that does not allow someone to sue successfully for injury or losses incurred at another's property if they are there for recreational purposes.
Fer instance, guests are coming to visit and a klutz trips on the stairs and is injured. Common sense tells us that is their own fault. But, in many (most?) states they might be able to sue the homeowner and collect damages. Not so in Arkansas.
We used to have a 4th of July picnic and fireworks at our farm. It grew from a few to quite large when folks started inviting people we didn't even know. That was OK but without our protection law I wouldn't have let them on the property.
If Michigan has such a law, let your friend use your shop for free and enjoy.

have any you folks rented out your shop to someone that you trusted?
and if so what is a fair price?
are there any other things one needs to consider?

i was approached last night for the use of mine for approx, 3 days from a long time friend. he has offered to pay for the use of it, but i have no clue as to how much to charge or if i should do it period. any advice would appreciated.. this person is expiernced in using the shop tools. has been in the building trade for many years. need to make a decision by the end of the week. thansk for your help in this

Only person I would allow to use my shop is my son and Grandsons under my supervision, and a really close friend (again under my supervision)... So that being the case, No rent involved (how can you rent to a friend or family?)

If you are worried about insurance issues, get if to sign a contract stateing that you are not responseable any or all damages that happen to him and or is items while in your shop. This will cover you. I have freinds help me out from time to time and my lawyer said this would cover me. It just needes to be signed by both paties and notirized.

Let him use it for free. If anything happens, bury the body....deep. If he is still kicking, same advice, just deeper.

Last edited:
The liability issue if you pay is a good point. Our club has a similar issue with where we meet. The advise from a lawyer in the club was since the club isn't a formal organization, the shop owner's home/business insurance covers him because he's just having a group of friends over. If we make the club a legal organization, he's got problems.

thanks matt,, i thought that was the arrangment but its been to long since i heard the particulars;) well to help put this to bed, in my world at least! is i have decided to let him have the key, he can use it during the week for this project but the wknds are mine,, and its just him, no other friends or relatives,,, i have trusted my life with this guy in the past and he has done the same with me so i think if he were to have troubles. i am ok on this one.. no pay just payun forward sorta:)

when i was a young man i went into business with a long time friend named eddie,we opened up a cabinet shop- i knew this women named judith-judith was well into her eighties and had spent her life in new york as a successful business person and had retired to austin years before-she new us both, so i went to her and asked for advice-this was in 1975 and through the years ive taken her advice many times - she said "alex when you do business with friends use a lawyer,enemies will always take care of themselves,

alex

Sounds like you've sorted it out Larry. As a courtousy, you might put up the usual safety info ("Safety first! The life you save may be your own!") and make sure you have a basic first aid kit and extinguisher in sight.

Bill your supposed to have the hole all dug.:thumb:
Right in plan site. That way when they come over to ask if they can use your shop. You can point to the hole and tell them. That's where we put the ones who hurt them selves in the shop.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
The hole at my shop is currently filled in. Got to wait till spring befor I can dig a new one.:thumb:

Problem is, if I dig it too soon the wife will fill it full of plants. Don't know if you have checked lately, but those green thingies are expensive...cuts into the tool fund.

Larry, glad to see you decide to let the freind have use. At this point if I had to pay my best freind for all the work/help he does in my shop, I would be broke.

Larry: I guess I am of the mind that If he is building some cabinets for his daughter and wants to use your shop.....I would want to help him build them and we would both have a great time. Also we may get in a couple of good lunches and a few beers as well. I like woodworking so much that for me its just a good excuse to make some more sawdust and inprove on a good friendship. Most of my friends would do as much for me. How could I do less.:dunno::wave:

Boy, tuff to say...

I agree with the warnings and concerns of those who mention the insurance and lawsuit issues. But as a person who enjoys helping people, I would tend to let experienced friends use my shop. However, without being too straight forward, I would still weigh it with your trust of the individual. All I can say is be cautious, generous, friendly, considerate, and wary of your family's risk. If after considering all this you still have no major misgivings, have your friend sign a waver, and let him go to work. As far as what to charge, dunno what to tell you.

To me, this is such a personal decision, I would have to say don't listen to me. Not much help, eh? :rolleyes:

Hutch

i must say larry, after reading through this thread and seeing some of the replies, and rereading my own. i'd have to say i am glad you chose to do what you have. because to be perfectly honest, i would never have given a thought to letting one of my friends use my shop. if they offered money i woulda said no. in some ways i guess this could be considered naive but to me it's just being a friend.

so :thumb: to you larry. i retract my previous post

chris