Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored some green wood. now what.

Scored some green wood. now what.

Hi Folks;
    I got some green wood, two pieces about 24" accross and 12" high. I cut out the pithe, and chunked it into about 8 usable pieces with my chain saw. But it is very wet, freshly harvested tree. I should be able to get 4 large bowls, 12"diaX9"high. and 6 smaller ones 6" dia X 4" high. My question is once I ruff them out in the next couple of days, seal the outside with End Check, wrap with paper, how long will they be drying Before I can finish the Turning and finish the bowls. Just a general rule of thumb is what I am looking for. Oh yes, I plan on ruffing the smaller pieces to 1\2" thickness and the larger ones to 3\4" thickness.

All advise is welcomed and needed. I have not tryied to dry anything like this before.

Thanks

Joe

Congrats on the wood haul.

Joe, if you ask 10 turners this question you'll likely get 12 answers, but here's my two:

If you seal the rough-turned bowl with End Check (or Anchor Seal or other similar product), the rough rule of thumb is about 1 year of drying time per inch of thickness.

If you soak the rough-turned bowl in denatured alcohol (DNA) for 24 hours or so, then wrap it in a few layers of paper, it'll be dry in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Personally, I use the DNA soak method.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

If I am drying in a paper bag, I use a wall thickness of about 10% of the bowl diameter. I seal the rim and the end grain and then put into a paper bag for about 1 year.

If I use denatured alcohol, I follow Dave Smith's instructions since he developed the procedure.
    Barbara

You're about right on the smaller blanks. The larger ones though need to be 1-1.25" thick. If not you may very well find that they've warped beyond the ability to round them back out. You can seal and bag and weight about a year or so. You can also DNA and wrap and be ready to go in about a month (maybe a little less). Or you can boil for about an hour and a half and then bag for a couple of weeks or until they no longer feel cool on your face or lips. I would DNA or boil if it were me.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    It's interesting to say the least to read about all the ways of prepping wood for turning. Turn it green, turn it dry, turn it and wait. Boil it! Get it drunk with alcohol There is so much to learn and when you try, there is so many different way of doing it. It is actually mind boggling to me, but of course I'm an old .... well it's not coming to me easy

I keep trying to get some time in the shop for me rather than have to do projects but it looks like it will still be a while before I even get to do anything with the lathe. I did get the book by Keith Rowley, "Woodturning a foundation course" the other day and have been reading it. Makes me want to drop the "have to do" jobs and play with the lathe!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Dna soak.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on the wood haul.

Joe, if you ask 10 turners this question you'll likely get 12 answers, but here's my two:

If you seal the rough-turned bowl with End Check (or Anchor Seal or other similar product), the rough rule of thumb is about 1 year of drying time per inch of thickness.

If you soak the rough-turned bowl in denatured alcohol (DNA) for 24 hours or so, then wrap it in a few layers of paper, it'll be dry in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Personally, I use the DNA soak method.
    Ok Vaughn, I will try the DNA soak method. I will pick us some today and start the turning when I get the DNA soak setup later this afternoon.
    Then in a month I will start to finish today ruffed out bowls.

Thanks, Joe

Thanks Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    You're about right on the smaller blanks. The larger ones though need to be 1-1.25" thick. If not you may very well find that they've warped beyond the ability to round them back out. You can seal and bag and weight about a year or so. You can also DNA and wrap and be ready to go in about a month (maybe a little less). Or you can boil for about an hour and a half and then bag for a couple of weeks or until they no longer feel cool on your face or lips. I would DNA or boil if it were me.
    Thanks Doug for the advise. I will leave a good 1.25" on the larger bowls. I would not like to loose the wood seeing it was free to start with. It is all a learning expearance for me this time around.

Thanks again. Joe

Joe, do you know what kind of wood it is, and what is your local climate - didn't see where you're from?

Ken Easley
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Penney View Post
    Ok Vaughn, I will try the DNA soak method. I will pick us some today and start the turning when I get the DNA soak setup later this afternoon.
    Then in a month I will start to finish today ruffed out bowls.

Thanks, Joe
    Joe, there's a lot of information in this article about DNA soaking. It was written by Dave Smith, who Barbara mentioned above...he's the guy that blazed the DNA trail.

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/...cles_473.shtml
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Question

i HAVE A QUESTION? DO YOU LITTERLY SOAK THE WOOD IN DNA,I MEAN DO YOU GET ABOUT TWO GAL OF THE STUFF AND POUR IT IN A TUB AND PUT THE CHUNK OF WOOD IN IT TO WHERE ALL OF THE WOOD IS COVERED? WHAT IS THE EVAPORATILON RATE,WHAT AMOUNT DO YOU GET TO SAVE AND REUSE IF YOU YOU HAVE ANY AT ALL. BETTER YET TELL ME THE WHOLE PROCESS.