work in progress - table

ken werner

This is a simple table made to fit behind our sofa. It matches a pair of tables I made a year ago. Cherry. In process of finishing. The dovetails are all done by hand. Pegged M&T joint joining the aprons. Pegs are cherry, 3/16" diameter, run thru a shop-made dowel plate. Legs tapered by bandsaw and plane. The top is from a single board. Finish thus far is 2 coats dewaxed shellac, 2 coats wipe-on varnish, to be be followed by several more. Then wax. I turned the knobs. One tip for others is to finish the knobs on the lathe, then finish the drawer front, and after the drawer is finished, install the knob. Much better look on the final finish that way.

Dimensions are 26.5" tall by 43" long by 11" deep.

I'll post some final images when it's done.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 87
  • center divider.jpg
    center divider.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 75
  • end.jpg
    end.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 71
  • drawers.jpg
    drawers.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 74
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 75
Looking real nice so far, Ken. :thumb: Your dovetails always look spot on. The top looks like it has a little bit of curl in the figure, too.

Table completed

Here it is, now behind our sofa.

Attachments

• 3-4 view small.jpg
    3-4 view small.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 27
  • drawers open small.jpg
    drawers open small.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 33
  • table front small.jpg
    table front small.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 30
Royall, I try to keep to classic proportions. The length:height is 43":26.5". This translates roughly to 1.618:1, or a Golden rectangle. The overhang of the top is 2". The legs are 1 3/16: square at the top, which is close to the same ratio, tapering to 3/4" at the bottom. Thanks all for your kind words.
Ken

the best thing about that piece Ken is that in 100 years from now, someone in your family will still be admiring it in their living room(area)......congrats on a great piece!(and for sharing it)

That looks terrific. I love those sofa tables. I may just have to rearrange the living room to make one fit. I could use one in the hallway but I have no room there either. Your's looks great and is an inspiration.