Another bit of end-grain boring.

Looks real nice, Chaz. :thumb: I like the shape. Is the inside tapered to match the outside, or does it have straight walls?

Lebanon cedar

:eek: I'm doing a piece of Lebanon Cedar that's in the shape of a spittoon. It's very aromatic, sort of medicinal. It's easy to work with but cracks easy. How long does the aromatic smell last? Does it eventually weaken after putting a finish over?:doh:

:eek: I'm doing a piece of Lebanon Cedar that's in the shape of a spittoon. It's very aromatic, sort of medicinal. It's easy to work with but cracks easy. How long does the aromatic smell last? Does it eventually weaken after putting a finish over?:doh:

John, The C of L that I have had been down for several years in large log form and stacked out in all weathers, it was rain wet rather than sap wet when I first worked it, I have had very little splitting problems and the last bits of it are very dry having been in the shop for 2-3 yrs, it still has a very distinctive aroma, sufficient to cause you to sneeze when turning.

There is still a faint trace of the aroma after sealing and application of soft wax, not strong but enough to be aware of it on your hands after handling.

It is rather prone to 'getting dirty' when sanding, I tend to seal well and let it harden before attempting final finishing

lebanon Cedar

:) Chas, the piece I'm working on is about 230 mm high and the same in width. I have it sealed now for 2 wks. and will try to finish it this week end. Hopefully to post pics following week. The aroma does get to you after awhile. It even stays on the vacuum filter and the dust collector bag. :wave: