Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Library job

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Library job

Just about have the remodel done and and a lady asked me to come up and build some bookshelves for her library/computer room. Last time I talked to her it was going to be a couple of built ins and now she wants shelve on all four wall, floor to ceiling (108"), shelves over and under the window and all in cherry did I say! It is just about 50 feet of shelves she wants.

I priced just the cherry ply today..... 150 bucks a sheet here. I'm going to get prices on pre-finished stuff too and see if it is worth the labor savings and my sanity as I hate finishing! One point she made that made me feel better is she doesn't want any fancy moldings or trim, just wants it basic and simple. Simple works well with my mind (pun intended) She did mention a rolling library ladder, do they make them to go around corners or do you install one for each wall?

I'll post more as this project gets further along. I'll be asking a lot of questions as I'm a bit overwhelmed with the size of the task ahead.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

holy sawdust batman! you've definitely got a task ahead of you! needless to say we will be expecting pics from the construction site...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Royall,

Congrats on the work!

I've been in a lot of libraries, but I've never seen a wooden ladder that goes around a corner. Still, as long as the bar is metal, I guess there's no reason it couldn't?

I presume you'll be making the ladder? In any case, you must read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/ny...ty/29ladd.html Don't miss the slideshow...

Pretty fascinating. Pricey, but fascinating nonetheless!

Thanks,

Bill

Glad to hear you got the job, Royall. Is it going to be Face frame with ajustable shelves? I did 24 foot of book shelves for our Church library and that was a buch. But 50 ft is a bunch. I did mine in 4 foot sections, as it was easier to transport and also less hassel to hang. Are you building them at your shop or do you have to do it on site? Hopefully you can build them at your shop and install a few at a time so as not to over load your space.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Congrats, Royall. You may have already spotted these guys, but in case you haven't...

http://libraryladderhardware.com/

Bill, that was an interesting article. Probably lots of stories that building could tell.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the link Bill, cool story. I'm not going to rush into this. I'm going to draw the room out to scale and go from there. I need to find all the parts to my drafting machine and get it up and running.... just can't figure out sketch up or any of the other cad programs. Scull is just too thick I guess

Hey Dan, I'll post lots once it's start
    Aloha,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Roase View Post
    Glad to hear you got the job, Royall. Is it going to be Face frame with ajustable shelves? I did 24 foot of book shelves for our Church library and that was a buch. But 50 ft is a bunch. I did mine in 4 foot sections, as it was easier to transport and also less hassel to hang. Are you building them at your shop or do you have to do it on site? Hopefully you can build them at your shop and install a few at a time so as not to over load your space.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
    Thanks Ron, The customer wants fixed shelves except in the area she wants the stereo components to sit. I'm thinking of 4' section also. I just can't handle anything bigger by myself and can't afford to hire anyone. There are some other features she wants too that I'll be asking questions on but I want to get the room on paper so I can post it with the questions.... easier to understand that way.

As far as room goes I'll have to build them maybe 2-4 at a time and then store them at their house (it's big!)

later
    Aloha,

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Royall. You may have already spotted these guys, but in case you haven't...

http://libraryladderhardware.com/

Bill, that was an interesting article. Probably lots of stories that building could tell.
    Thanks for the link Vaughn They are sure proud of their prices! I think CS Hardware has some nice stuff a bit cheaper
    Aloha,

royall, if you want help with sketchup, let me know, happy to lend a hand. just let me know the dimensions, and the kind of joinery you're thinking, and we'll see what we can come up with.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

caution!
    customer speak........simple = cheap
    before you invest much time get a realistic budgit from the customer.
    ladders can be made to go around corners.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]