Library job

Just about have the remodel done and and a lady asked me to come up and build some bookshelves for her library/computer room. Last time I talked to her it was going to be a couple of built ins and now she wants shelve on all four wall, floor to ceiling (108"), shelves over and under the window and all in cherry:eek::eek::eek: did I say:eek::eek::eek:! It is just about 50 feet of shelves she wants.

I priced just the cherry ply today..... 150 bucks a sheet here. I'm going to get prices on pre-finished stuff too and see if it is worth the labor savings and my sanity as I hate finishing! One point she made that made me feel better is she doesn't want any fancy moldings or trim, just wants it basic and simple. Simple works well with my mind (pun intended:rofl:) She did mention a rolling library ladder, do they make them to go around corners or do you install one for each wall?

I'll post more as this project gets further along. I'll be asking a lot of questions as I'm a bit overwhelmed with the size of the task ahead.

Royall,

Congrats on the work! :thumb:

I've been in a lot of libraries, but I've never seen a wooden ladder that goes around a corner. Still, as long as the bar is metal, I guess there's no reason it couldn't? :dunno:

I presume you'll be making the ladder? In any case, you must read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/nyregion/thecity/29ladd.html Don't miss the slideshow... ;)

Pretty fascinating. Pricey, but fascinating nonetheless! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Glad to hear you got the job, Royall. Is it going to be Face frame with ajustable shelves? I did 24 foot of book shelves for our Church library and that was a buch. But 50 ft is a bunch. I did mine in 4 foot sections, as it was easier to transport and also less hassel to hang. Are you building them at your shop or do you have to do it on site? Hopefully you can build them at your shop and install a few at a time so as not to over load your space.
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.:D:thumb:

Thanks for the link Bill, cool story. I'm not going to rush into this. I'm going to draw the room out to scale and go from there. I need to find all the parts to my drafting machine and get it up and running.... just can't figure out sketch up or any of the other cad programs. Scull is just too thick I guess:(

Hey Dan, I'll post lots once it's start:D

Glad to hear you got the job, Royall. Is it going to be Face frame with ajustable shelves? I did 24 foot of book shelves for our Church library and that was a buch. But 50 ft is a bunch. I did mine in 4 foot sections, as it was easier to transport and also less hassel to hang. Are you building them at your shop or do you have to do it on site? Hopefully you can build them at your shop and install a few at a time so as not to over load your space.
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.:D:thumb:

Thanks Ron, The customer wants fixed shelves except in the area she wants the stereo components to sit. I'm thinking of 4' section also. I just can't handle anything bigger by myself and can't afford to hire anyone. There are some other features she wants too that I'll be asking questions on but I want to get the room on paper so I can post it with the questions.... easier to understand that way.

As far as room goes I'll have to build them maybe 2-4 at a time and then store them at their house (it's big!)

later

royall, if you want help with sketchup, let me know, happy to lend a hand. just let me know the dimensions, and the kind of joinery you're thinking, and we'll see what we can come up with. :thumb:

caution!
customer speak........simple = cheap
before you invest much time get a realistic budgit from the customer.
ladders can be made to go around corners.

Sounds like quite the job :thumb:

I see in this pic....
50088a-is3.jpg

...the ladder appears to go round the corner :D

i agree with tod here. these days there are more people who are interested in the simple clean lines look, but at the same time there are those who think it will be cheaper.

good luck sounds like a great job

congrats on the job royal,, and i also want to emphacize "the get a budget first" statement from tod,, been on the wrong side of this story before and you dont need to get going and find out you just bought some librarys shelves:eek: make sure you get enough to cover yourself.. DONT get strung out to far and have no branch left!!!!

royall, if you want help with sketchup, let me know, happy to lend a hand. just let me know the dimensions, and the kind of joinery you're thinking, and we'll see what we can come up with. :thumb:

Thanks for the offer Dan, I'll probably be a pest to you later:D

caution!
customer speak........simple = cheap
before you invest much time get a realistic budgit from the customer.
ladders can be made to go around corners.

I'll agree with on that one Tod, seen that before:thumb: This lady knows that materials alone is going to be several thousand. She's just not into frills.:D

Sounds like quite the job :thumb:

I see in this pic....
50088a-is3.jpg

...the ladder appears to go round the corner :D

I like that Stu, do you have a link to where they are available??

congrats on the job royal,, and i also want to emphacize "the get a budget first" statement from tod,, been on the wrong side of this story before and you dont need to get going and find out you just bought some librarys shelves:eek: make sure you get enough to cover yourself.. DONT get strung out to far and have no branch left!!!!

First.... Thanks for the PM about multiple replys:D:thumb: Makes it a bunch mo betta;)

The customer wants to do it time and materials. She knows my situation and says she doesn't want me to try to make a bid only to find out that I've shorted myself. (nice of her) But like the remodel job I'm finishing I didn't and won't take advantage of a situation like that by padding the time. I give 100% to a job and if I'm having a bad day in the shop and screw something up I don't charge for for the redo.

I'm still old fashion enough to still make a deal with a handshake and follow through. There are people though that I know that I would get an attorney just to talk to them:D:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Royall - when I made my "portable library " each bottom was 60' w and 32' t and the top shelf unit were 60 " w and 48" t. I only mention this to illustrate use of deminsions to use plywood. I planned each piece to fit 8' ceilings and to maximized the use of material. It has been moved twice and it was a good two person job. I made the shelves in sequence and stacked them each time to preserve shape. Be sure to tell us about your adventure.

Ray Gerdes

Royall - when I made my "portable library " each bottom was 60' w and 32' t and the top shelf unit were 60 " w and 48" t. I only mention this to illustrate use of deminsions to use plywood. I planned each piece to fit 8' ceilings and to maximized the use of material. It has been moved twice and it was a good two person job. I made the shelves in sequence and stacked them each time to preserve shape. Be sure to tell us about your adventure.

Ray Gerdes

I would be happy if I was working with 8' walls Ray. Sure would be easier job to do. I do have a couple ideas I'll toss out as things progress. Thanks for the input Ray.

I think it is from this place.......

http://www.putnamrollingladder.com

But Rockler sells their stuff too, don't know which would be cheaper :dunno:

Thanks for the post Stu.
Rockler is out... they won't ship to me. I've got a CS Hardware cat. that I'm going to dig out see what their ladder stuff costs. I may have to buy just the hardware and build it myself. Shipping would be a killer to get it here.

I tried to order a jig of some sort (can't remember now) It was small and would have fit into one of those small flat rate priority mail boxes. "We can't ship to you because you have a P.O.Box. We don't ship to PO Boxes" :eek:They also said "shipping comes to $38.70 if you give us your street address" :eek::eek:They would not work with me one bit.:dunno: I mean this little jig was only 17 bucks! I've bought lots of stuff from them until I moved here. Live here or buy from Rockler. Hmmmmmmmmmm I think it's a no brainer I'll buy elsewhere:thumb::rofl::rofl:

I tried to order a jig of some sort (can't remember now) It was small and would have fit into one of those small flat rate priority mail boxes. "We can't ship to you because you have a P.O.Box. We don't ship to PO Boxes" :eek:They also said "shipping comes to $38.70 if you give us your street address" :eek::eek:They would not work with me one bit.:dunno: I mean this little jig was only 17 bucks! I've bought lots of stuff from them until I moved here. Live here or buy from Rockler. Hmmmmmmmmmm I think it's a no brainer I'll buy elsewhere:thumb::rofl::rofl:

here's a new idea, buy threw a friend and have them ship to you royal i think its possible to do that:huh::D