Router bits

What company or brand gives you the best bang for the buck. I need a 1/2" down cut bit for making dado's in plywood. Should I buy two for a big project or do they last quite a while?

Thanks

The glue in plywood tends to wear the bits abnormally fast, so having extras on hand is a good idea.

As for overall value, any of the 'name' brands are good, but for 'expendable' bits I usually end up ordering them from MLCS. The bits are of pretty good quality, and usually cost about half the cost of a Somerville or Bosch.

BTW, you do know that half inch plywood isn't really half an inch? Nearly every company that sells bits has "plywood bits" that are appropriately undersized for cutting dado's in Plywood. Nearly all plywood seems to be metrically sized these days, so the "ply" bits are something like 6mm, 12mm, and 18mm.

The glue in plywood tends to wear the bits abnormally fast, so having extras on hand is a good idea.

As for overall value, any of the 'name' brands are good, but for 'expendable' bits I usually end up ordering them from MLCS. The bits are of pretty good quality, and usually cost about half the cost of a Somerville or Bosch.

BTW, you do know that half inch plywood isn't really half an inch? Nearly every company that sells bits has "plywood bits" that are appropriately undersized for cutting dado's in Plywood. Nearly all plywood seems to be metrically sized these days, so the "ply" bits are something like 6mm, 12mm, and 18mm.

Thanks Jim, sounds like some good info.... Yeah, I know the actual dimensions of the material..... just get lazy about adding all the extra numbers to the line:D:D I'll use the 1/2" bit to cut 3/4" dado's with one of Dan's dado jigs. That way I can get the down shear of the bit on both sides of the dado.:thumb:

Royall,

You may wish to glance at this article:

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/ToolTestRouterBits.pdf

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for link Bill, I'll look at it at lunch time. Just looked and saw the new post.

+1 on Whiteside or Freud. My 3/8" spiral from MLCS was a joke; barely made it through one project. Both the Whiteside and Freud bits are still going strong although I have given them a light touch-up here and there.

I get my Whiteside stuff from www.holbren.com. He gives a 10% discount to members of that 'other' forum where I still participate with the code 'SMC10' at checkout (although I don't know that membership is verified . . . wink-wink). His shipping is very reasonable too on the mainland. I don't know about the islands.

As to plywood bits; ply is so non-uniform that my plywood bits are still almost new. They are undersized but they are rarely just right :rolleyes:. Your plan to use a smaller bit and make a couple passes is what i do as a rule when I route dados.

Last edited:
All my bits come from MLCS. I can not see spending big bucks on a bit that is only going to get tossed in a year or so when it is worn out.

I have been pleased with http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ and they are quick to response (however they are not located in Paradise, like you so the shipping may be different.) Gotten good bits at HD as well as Satisfied quite well with Lee Valley.

MLCS has really good prices and I can't see where they are any less quality than higher priced bits (they do have two series of bits and two sets of prices) Never bought their top dollar bits as the others serve me well.

Sounds like where ever you buy you bits you should look into free freight - but seriously I have used many bits and find most have good life.

Hit the internet and look for sales - Woodcraft always are running sales and I just received a flyer from Hartville Tool with sale pricing they are Whiteside with 15% off!!!!:wave:

Jack

Thanks everybody. Lot of places to check out. After looking at Whiteside's web site, I started to get confused as to what I really wanted.:huh: (not hard for me to get confused):rofl:

My thoughts on a down cut is when the bit is in a hand held router, the spiral in cutting or shearing the edge of the wood down and away from the router, correct?? I've never had one of these bits before and want to be sure I get the correct one.:huh: See above statement:rofl:

Thanks everybody. Lot of places to check out. After looking at Whiteside's web site, I started to get confused as to what I really wanted.:huh: (not hard for me to get confused):rofl:

My thoughts on a down cut is when the bit is in a hand held router, the spiral in cutting or shearing the edge of the wood down and away from the router, correct?? I've never had one of these bits before and want to be sure I get the correct one.:huh: See above statement:rofl:

Your THINKING on the shear action Downcut bit is Correct, Royall, and rout in a clockwise direction around the inside of the guide.:thumb:

Last edited:
Hartville Tool Has Whiteside bits on sale. 1/2" dia. 1/2" shank $33.98-$44.18. Not only are they very good bits but, they are made in the USA.

Regards

Jerry

Your THINKING on the shear action Downcut bit is Correct, Royall, and rout in a clockwise direction around the inside of the guide.:thumb:

That was what I thought Norman, but sometimes the obvious just doesn't get through to the brain:D

Hartville Tool Has Whiteside bits on sale. 1/2" dia. 1/2" shank $33.98-$44.18. Not only are they very good bits but, they are made in the USA.

Regards

Jerry

I'll check out Hartville Jerry. Years ago I used to get their cat. but the mail lost me when I moved. Used to get as many WW cats in a week as my wife got Victoria's Secret Cats.:D:rofl::rofl: I'b back up to about 1-2 a month now. Lee Valley is one and even though I find them a little on the expensive side they're fun to look at:D