Wine Box

Pete Simmons

You people practice fine woodworking. I tried a little course woodworking with a little added laser work. All joinery is +- 1/8 or more . Final sanding was the same as initial sanding - None!

It holds 2 bottles of wine.

Attachments

• winebox3.jpg
    winebox3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 93
I was thinking about you just the other day wondering what you'd been up to. :) The wine box looks real nice. Maybe you should use thinner box material, so the laser can do the cutting for you. It's a bit more accurate, eh? :p Out of curiosity, what is the tolerance on a laser cut? It's in the thousandths of an inch, isn't it?

Royall - The artwork is all done with the laser.

Yes the tolarence of the laser is just a few thousandths. I could cut the wood with the laser but it leaves a charred edge and for this type of item the wood is cut much quicker on a saw.

With my 35 watt laser I can cut up to about 3/8 wood but I get some charring. 1/8 inch wood cuts very nice with minimun charring. (you can touch the cut edge and not get black marks on your hands) Of course these numbers vary depending on the wood. Some woods cut very easily while some like purpleheart will barely cut at all.

Nice box. I used to make wine and wanted to make a special label for a vintage. The box is a good alternative. I called that particular vintage Old Black Goose. I wanted to have a black goose strolling about with a cane.:D The name was inspired by the ingredients. Elderberries, blackberries and gooseberries. :thumb:

That's NEAT, Pete. It has the appearance of just enough roughness to give it the look of an authentic "Old World" wine box from a Fine Winemaker that wants to emphasize Aged Fine Wine inside the box. I like it.:thumb::thumb:

Very neat Pete :D

I saw this thread name and I was wondering why you would want wine in a box, the good stuff comes in bottles you know :eek: ;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is this something you are going to try to market?

Could be some interest if you turnaround is fast enough, a customer could want a custom box for a wedding, birthday or such? :dunno:

Cheers!

Market

Stu - Yes the wine boxes are something I sell on my website. I do not sell many but every once in a while I get an order for a special event. Wedding, Christmas, House warming gift etc. I have only gotten 1 large order for a winery where they gave them out to some special customers.

I keep 2 or 3 ready to go with the parts precut and ready to engrave and assemble and can have one ready in a few hours. I leave them unassembled because if I need to engrave the ends or sides my laser is not deep enough to handle them assembled.

I bet these would selll in your shop. You think up a design and maybe I'll send you one unassembled in a flat pack. 12 staples and a little glue and your done.