Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Turning Question

Outboard Turning Question

Anyone attached the Vicmarc outboard turning setup to their lathe ?
    I have a Jet 1642 and was thinking i like the Vicmark price and setup but i know you have to do some drilling and the mounting has to be exact from what little i have learned so far.

Dan,
    I can't answer your question, but your question raised a question for me...

If I remember correctly, to turn out board on the 1642, you have to slide the headstock to the tailstock end of the ways, do you not?? How does the outboard attachement work with that?
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I went to the Vicmarc site and that outboard tool rest looks like it bolts onto the legs.
    I can only surmise that the holes for the bolts are drilled and tapped at the factory.
    The legs for the Jet are cast iron. Personally, I would not go drilling into cast iron supports. But, there are others here with a lot more expertise on that subject than I. (Hello! Johnson? )

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I went to the Vicmarc site and that outboard tool rest looks like it bolts onto the legs.
    I can only surmise that the holes for the bolts are drilled and tapped at the factory.
    The legs for the Jet are cast iron. Personally, I would not go drilling into cast iron supports. But, there are others here with a lot more expertise on that subject than I. (Hello! Johnson? )
    Along my thoughts as well, plus the way I have my shop set up, I can't work outboard from the ends of the ways anyway... I got the Jet 1442 because the headstock swiveled... I can turn it 90 deg to the ways and have all the room I need... but I'll need a movable tool rest... the one that comes with the Jet is a two piece affair and I think a little funky for any heavy turning.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Chuck - yep you have to slide the unit to the end of the ways and the outboard im looking at attached to the end of the lathe.

Frank - I chose the Vicmarc because i want one that attaches to the end of the lathe and thought it would have much greater support. I know you have to drill and tap/bolt the unit on but it has to be exact as i remember. Im sure someone on here has done this set up but i am unable to find the info again.
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 02-21-2009 at 03:20 PM.

My Grizzly G0632 head swivels and I'll be wanting an outboard tool rest soon also. It will be freestanding. But, I plan to have a local welding shop make something for me. It will be simple, like a pipe standing on an old truck tire wheel.

I was thinking that the one that bolts onto the lathe is actually more stable and safer than a free standing unit. But i have no experience at this part of turning so was hoping to see what other have done to theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    Anyone attached the Vicmarc outboard turning setup to their lathe ?
    I have a Jet 1642 and was thinking i like the Vicmark price and setup but i know you have to do some drilling and the mounting has to be exact from what little i have learned so far.
    Hey Dan,
    I went back and looked at the vicmarc set up... looks like the cross straps bolt onto the legs... but allow for the vertical piece to slide up and down, so there may be a little play as to the actual location of the cross straps... (please note, this is not technicaleze) but other than Frank's comments about drilling into cast iron, from what I can see in the pictures, don't see why there would be much of a problem.

After looking at it, it might even work on my 1442, better than the tool rest that came with it... I am thinking of making a tool rest that is free standing though... I'm thinking it will be more versatile for me.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Dan, Chuck, I don't really know much about metals. But, I have been warned not to mess with cast iron. Supposedly as cast, it is very good for it's intended use. But cut or drill into it and the whole thing can become weak subject to the crumbling heebee jeebees. I dunno. That's why I was hoping an expert, like Johnson (where are ye, Dale?) would step in with real expert advice.

In my limited experience, cast iron is easy to drill and tap. I've added threaded holes along the edge of my tablesaw table to accommodate extension wings and aftermarket fence rails. I suspect Tod (and others) have drilled and tapped holes in the tables of things like saws and shapers to add power feeders.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com