Outboard Turning Question

Dan Mosley

Anyone attached the Vicmarc outboard turning setup to their lathe ?
I have a Jet 1642 and was thinking i like the Vicmark price and setup but i know you have to do some drilling and the mounting has to be exact from what little i have learned so far.

Dan,
I can't answer your question, but your question raised a question for me...:)

If I remember correctly, to turn out board on the 1642, you have to slide the headstock to the tailstock end of the ways, do you not?? How does the outboard attachement work with that?

I went to the Vicmarc site and that outboard tool rest looks like it bolts onto the legs.
I can only surmise that the holes for the bolts are drilled and tapped at the factory.
The legs for the Jet are cast iron. Personally, I would not go drilling into cast iron supports. But, there are others here with a lot more expertise on that subject than I. (Hello! :wave: Johnson? ;) )

I went to the Vicmarc site and that outboard tool rest looks like it bolts onto the legs.
I can only surmise that the holes for the bolts are drilled and tapped at the factory.
The legs for the Jet are cast iron. Personally, I would not go drilling into cast iron supports. But, there are others here with a lot more expertise on that subject than I. (Hello! :wave: Johnson? ;) )

Along my thoughts as well, plus the way I have my shop set up, I can't work outboard from the ends of the ways anyway... I got the Jet 1442 because the headstock swiveled... I can turn it 90 deg to the ways and have all the room I need... but I'll need a movable tool rest... the one that comes with the Jet is a two piece affair and I think a little funky for any heavy turning.

Chuck - yep you have to slide the unit to the end of the ways and the outboard im looking at attached to the end of the lathe.

Frank - I chose the Vicmarc because i want one that attaches to the end of the lathe and thought it would have much greater support. I know you have to drill and tap/bolt the unit on but it has to be exact as i remember. Im sure someone on here has done this set up but i am unable to find the info again.

Last edited:
My Grizzly G0632 head swivels and I'll be wanting an outboard tool rest soon also. It will be freestanding. But, I plan to have a local welding shop make something for me. It will be simple, like a pipe standing on an old truck tire wheel.

I was thinking that the one that bolts onto the lathe is actually more stable and safer than a free standing unit. But i have no experience at this part of turning so was hoping to see what other have done to theirs.

Anyone attached the Vicmarc outboard turning setup to their lathe ?
I have a Jet 1642 and was thinking i like the Vicmark price and setup but i know you have to do some drilling and the mounting has to be exact from what little i have learned so far.

Hey Dan,
I went back and looked at the vicmarc set up... looks like the cross straps bolt onto the legs... but allow for the vertical piece to slide up and down, so there may be a little play as to the actual location of the cross straps... (please note, this is not technicaleze) but other than Frank's comments about drilling into cast iron, from what I can see in the pictures, don't see why there would be much of a problem.

After looking at it, it might even work on my 1442, better than the tool rest that came with it... I am thinking of making a tool rest that is free standing though... I'm thinking it will be more versatile for me.

Dan, Chuck, I don't really know much about metals. But, I have been warned not to mess with cast iron. Supposedly as cast, it is very good for it's intended use. But cut or drill into it and the whole thing can become weak subject to the crumbling heebee jeebees. I dunno. :dunno: That's why I was hoping an expert, like Johnson (where are ye, Dale?) would step in with real expert advice.

In my limited experience, cast iron is easy to drill and tap. I've added threaded holes along the edge of my tablesaw table to accommodate extension wings and aftermarket fence rails. I suspect Tod (and others) have drilled and tapped holes in the tables of things like saws and shapers to add power feeders.

Dan,

Some more info for you on an outboard tool rest. If you can find the Woodturning Design Winter 2008 issue #16, there is an article about building your own. I built one for about $60.00. Send me an email or PM and I will send you a bigger pic and a list of parts needed.

Dale

Attachments

• MyRest2.jpg
    MyRest2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 38
Dan,

This http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1670 might answer your question about outboard turning on the 1642 with the Vicmarc accessory.

That is a pretty convincing article. But "pretty convincing" is not 100%. There is room for adjustment. As a result of reading that, when I get mine (outboard tool rest thingy) made up, I'll have it welded to a steel plate instead of an old truck wheel. This way, I can stand on the plate and give additional support.

when I get mine (outboard tool rest thingy) made up, I'll have it welded to a steel plate instead of an old truck wheel. This way, I can stand on the plate and give additional support.
Frank
I thought about the truck tire when you mentioned it, it did seem like it might get in the way of where you put your feet... I know I like to stand relatively close to my lathe when working... I generally have one foot under the edge of the ways..

Dale,
I'm going to have to look for that magazine... I'm sure I have it, since being a pack rat it's unlikely that I'll throw anything away. I can probably adapt that stand to my 1442.