Mission style dresser - latest design, please critique!

Mike Gager

ok this is an original design inspired by the craftsman style. im not 100% finished with it as i havent decided on a what type of joints to use on a few pieces but its pretty much done. i would like opinions on overall design and whether it would "work" if i decided to build it in wood

i had to zip the skp file as it was slightly larger then the 150 limit

dresser.jpg

View attachment dresser.zip

I like it but I might try brining the front stiles to the floor. something like this (but that's just me):

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 34
I know zippo about furniture design, but I really like what you've drawn, and I also like Glenn's suggestion of running the front stiles all the way to the floor.

thats one thing i was iffy about was the thickness of the legs. they are 1" thick but look kind of small. i like your suggestion about the stiles i will try that out and see what i can do. thanks!

I also like Glenn's mod. To that I'd make the front stiles wider so the joint is on the side not the front. Sorry, I've got almost no SketchUp skills to illustrate the concept.

Ditto on the mod. I like the way the sides splay out. Very interesting. Have you considered extending the ends of the top a bit and adding corbels?

here's my take on the dresser. i liked the idea of bringing the frame stiles to the floor, did that with the front board, and widened it out a bit, then narrowed the side frame boards a touch. i widened the top horizontally 2" on each side. no too sure about corbels though. that would be up to you.

Attachments

• dresser2.jpg
    dresser2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 23
Nice but you might want to consider changing the sides. They'll be a real pain to clean.

This.

I had a look at the file in sketchup. While on the subject of the sides, I wonder about the top + bottom rails. I measured, and I see that they are the exact same height. However, with the curve on the bottom rail, it gives the impression of being narrower than the top rail. I noticed that pretty quickly. I would experiment with a narrower top rail to see what looks right. alternatively, I'd experiment with removing the curve in the bottom rail.

Next around to the front... IMHO I find the rail above the top drawers to be on the thick side. I agree with the comments about extending the stiles to the floor. For one thing, as it stands the curve in the rail under the bottom drawer looks off, because it turns horizontal under the stile.

I'm not especially fond of the way the sides flare out. But I do admit that it is a striking feature. It'd be a challenge to build.

Keep posting. I love discussing designs.
...art

yeah i miss the curve as well and the top front rail thickness is still bothering me too. i had planned on doing an inlay of some typical arts & crafts design there but i havent thought of one i like yet

ok here is the latest pic

adjusted the top and bottom rails, added the curve back in on the bottom. i also made some changes to the back which arent shown

dresser2.jpg