Thread: Which ply?

Question Which ply?

I a fairly simple project for the hotel owner. He wants me to make a few(65) filler panels. His old matinace guy must have not relized what them black marks on a tape are four as he orded all the closet doors 12 1/2" to short and five" two wide. Now I get the fun job of makeing the panels. I plan to make them out of 3/8" ply, but what type stains the best. I plan on spraying on a stain so I can get them all done at once. Now I need tofind the time to get it done in the next week.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Hey Al, I'm not following what you want Maybe a little more detail what it is? Sorry!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

What he wants are simple rectangles made of ply. I was thinking of going with 3/8 or 1/2" but want not sure which ply takes stain the best. It is basicly a decoration and will only serve to fill a void. The only two requirments he gave me are: ity must fill the void and it must be made shiny to match the other furniture.

If you're gonna stain them the I'd use birch. If painted, then MDO is what I'd use.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

i agree with jim on this one Al, but i would look at the baltic rather than the china birch.. it seems to have better veneer on it in my opinion. and less voids which can show threw after the finish hits it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The doors are alum. frames w/ full size mirror. Furniture is mdf covered with plastice laminate which looks close to oak w/ mohagany color. This why I plan on useing ply and staining it close to the same color.

Would it be ok for you to post a pic of a room? Don't want to get you in trouble with client, so ask first, but if you could some folks here just might come up with "use X ply with Y stain - couple extra coats and you'll be just about all set."