Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12345

Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-30-2009 at 12:41 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    It's sounding a little like both!! I like making the jigs. I get just as much satisfaction from making a special jig as I do the end product. Perverse?? If you're going to make just one item that has no repeat steps, then I don't make the jig but will be more apt to just "freehand" it. If it's going to be several items then the jigs are worth the time and effort to be able to duplicate the object at hand. Like your mugs, if you freehanded all of them they would match as close as they would using all those "coo" jigs and lets face it, if a fellow woodwork comes into the shop and see a jig, Don't you get some satisfaction telling that fellow how you made it to do a certain job/ I even brought all my old jigs for some crafts I made 20 years ago to Hawaii with me one just never knows
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

I never made any jig until recently that I made one to cut 45 angle slots on a cabinet.
    I made four slots and that was all.

It worked fine but I'll never use it again for quite a long time I guess.

I think that jigs help a lot but they are to make things that one expects to do repeteadely otherwise they lengthen the time devoted to the building of the piece by two sometimes.

I agree that they help to make things more accurate and safely but some of them are really cumbersome to make, and sometimes you need to make a jig to be able to build the jig that you need to make the piece.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

we have to be more like norm abrams, a guy who never met a jig he didn't like...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

When I first began figuring out how this stuff works I never thought about making a jig. I just thought about how to use the basic tools to make the cuts that would produce the best results. The more I worked at this, and the more experience I gained, it would occur to me that if I just took the time to build this helper thing I could do a better job and get better results. I found out they're called jigs. I bought a couple of books and did some research. Before long it seemed that the project was jig-building instead of project building. I like building a jig, particularly when I can use it, look at the results it produces, and be pleased. But that activity does drag a project out somewhat. I think I'm coming to a "working set" of jigs...at least jig-building has abated recently. But I don't know...I'm pretty sure that on the day I croak I'll still be trying to figure out the best way to make some cut...and it will probably involve building a jig.

Cheers

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    we have to be more like norm abrams, a guy who never met a jig he didn't like...
    Dan, I expect a note reverence in when you speak Nom's name!

MY HERO! He can build anything in 30-60 minutes
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

jigs? every time i think of making one i just get to it and make the next cut or what ever. been thinking of making a sharping jig but after i think about how much time it takes to make one i sharpen the tool and go on before i can get started to make the darn thing. I KNOW I SHOULD MAKE a jig to shaqrpen my tools but the time it takes to make one and even to find it after it is made and set it up,one can sharpen the tool free hand and be back at work.

Jigs certainly are important.
    I tried to rout the miter slots without one and it was a mess.
    Once I made a jig for those they came out very nice.
    I really dont mind making/using them if it means my stuff is going to look or fit its best
    We put the "k" in "kwality."

The above picture is not me!!

A well designed and built Jig or Fixture makes the task so easy it seems like a waste of time and materials to do it. But should you not have the jig, what chore would be required. In essesnce you are doing the same work but if there are repeated applications then the results are more rewarding. But for one time application (aside from a safety device) often laboring through w/o the jig may have been just as fruitful.

The Jigs & Fixtures allows for repeated successful processing. Well worth the efforts if you are going to do it again.

Chuck your [ost really tickled me and I am still chuckling away. No pun intended.

It hit a nerve with me because I aways wanted to be a tool maker except the metal type.

I get frustrated by the very point you make about making jigs. Being too impatient I mess up so many pieces of wood or stop a project because of the jig issue. I am still refering to basic jigs that relate to using your tools properly.

So part of my moving into my new shop was a promise to myself to get organized and make all the basic jigs before I tackle any project.

But I guess one is never finished in the jig department.

Great post. Thanks
    cheers