It's sounding a little like both!!:rofl::rofl: I like making the jigs. I get just as much satisfaction from making a special jig as I do the end product. Perverse?? If you're going to make just one item that has no repeat steps, then I don't make the jig but will be more apt to just "freehand" it. If it's going to be several items then the jigs are worth the time and effort to be able to duplicate the object at hand. Like your mugs, if you freehanded all of them they would match as close as they would using all those "coo" jigs and lets face it, if a fellow woodwork comes into the shop and see a jig, Don't you get some satisfaction telling that fellow how you made it to do a certain job/;):D:thumb: I even brought all my old jigs for some crafts I made 20 years ago to Hawaii with me:rofl::rofl: one just never knows:D

I never made any jig until recently that I made one to cut 45º angle slots on a cabinet.
I made four slots and that was all.

It worked fine but I'll never use it again for quite a long time I guess.

I think that jigs help a lot but they are to make things that one expects to do repeteadely otherwise they lengthen the time devoted to the building of the piece by two sometimes.

I agree that they help to make things more accurate and safely but some of them are really cumbersome to make, and sometimes you need to make a jig to be able to build the jig that you need to make the piece.:dunno:

When I first began figuring out how this stuff works I never thought about making a jig. I just thought about how to use the basic tools to make the cuts that would produce the best results. The more I worked at this, and the more experience I gained, it would occur to me that if I just took the time to build this helper thing I could do a better job and get better results. I found out they're called jigs. I bought a couple of books and did some research. Before long it seemed that the project was jig-building instead of project building. I like building a jig, particularly when I can use it, look at the results it produces, and be pleased. But that activity does drag a project out somewhat. I think I'm coming to a "working set" of jigs...at least jig-building has abated recently. But I don't know...I'm pretty sure that on the day I croak I'll still be trying to figure out the best way to make some cut...and it will probably involve building a jig.

Cheers

jigs? every time i think of making one i just get to it and make the next cut or what ever. been thinking of making a sharping jig but after i think about how much time it takes to make one i sharpen the tool and go on before i can get started to make the darn thing. I KNOW I SHOULD MAKE a jig to shaqrpen my tools but the time it takes to make one and even to find it after it is made and set it up,one can sharpen the tool free hand and be back at work.:dunno:

Jigs certainly are important.
I tried to rout the miter slots without one and it was a mess.
Once I made a jig for those they came out very nice.
I really dont mind making/using them if it means my stuff is going to look or fit its best

A well designed and built Jig or Fixture makes the task so easy it seems like a waste of time and materials to do it. But should you not have the jig, what chore would be required. In essesnce you are doing the same work but if there are repeated applications then the results are more rewarding. But for one time application (aside from a safety device) often laboring through w/o the jig may have been just as fruitful.

The Jigs & Fixtures allows for repeated successful processing. Well worth the efforts if you are going to do it again.

Chuck your [ost really tickled me and I am still chuckling away. No pun intended.

It hit a nerve with me because I aways wanted to be a tool maker except the metal type.

I get frustrated by the very point you make about making jigs. Being too impatient I mess up so many pieces of wood or stop a project because of the jig issue. I am still refering to basic jigs that relate to using your tools properly.

So part of my moving into my new shop was a promise to myself to get organized and make all the basic jigs before I tackle any project.

But I guess one is never finished in the jig department.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Great post. Thanks

Jigs are a nessecary evil. When you can use it for more than one operation ,they make life wonderful. But sometimes to do a job properly you have to bite the bullet and make a jig for a single purpose. I had to do it for some cherry cabinets I was making. They had an arch at the top with a curved moulding that framed it in. The jig I made to make the moulding was a one time deal to mount the router horizontal due to the shape of the bit. Fortunatly the curved fence on the makeshift router table worked on the chopsaw to cut the miter for the curved and straight pieces set at the same angle.HPIM0671.JPG

HPIM0669.JPG

11-10-09 001.JPG

11-10-09 003.JPG

11-10-09 006.JPG

My Dad was a machist, actually an artist in metal---

who learned the craft on a Naval Repair Ship. He often said the most skilled person he ever knew was a Chief Carpenters Mate that built the patterns. No pattern, no metal work. Dad told us when he was an apprentice machinist, he was drafted to help the chief with a Captain's office at the Kodiak Naval Station. Wish we had pictures because dad was very impressed.

U all know how Norm always makes a prototype, that is the key to his TV program. Speaking of TV; I was so disappointed yesterday; KERA moved all the woodwork to Channel KERA2 and as an HD channel I don't get it. I guess I have to spring new hardware. They even started broadcasting the new Wood program yesterday.

Have a great Sunday -- I'm going to go take a nap............Ray Gerdes

Jigs are a nessecary evil. When you can use it for more than one operation ,they make life wonderful. But sometimes to do a job properly you have to bite the bullet and make a jig for a single purpose. I had to do it for some cherry cabinets I was making. They had an arch at the top with a curved moulding that framed it in. The jig I made to make the moulding was a one time deal to mount the router horizontal due to the shape of the bit. Fortunatly the curved fence on the makeshift router table worked on the chopsaw to cut the miter for the curved and straight pieces set at the same angle.View attachment 29675

View attachment 29676

View attachment 29677

View attachment 29678

View attachment 29679

thats a very nice cabinet yu made,, got a pic of your jig that you used to make the trim?

I looked thru my photos I took while building that project and I couldn't find any. When I finished the install they ended up in the burn barrel since it was a one time use jig.