Amboyna Vase

Here is a amboyna vase I started turning a week ago Friday. It was just turning beautifully. I was down to taking some fine finishing cuts and going to start sanding it when it just exploded into six pieces. I didn't have a catch and the only thing was there was a small inclusion that you can't hardly see. Well I found all six pieces and they fit like a glove. I just couldn't believe how well they fit. Well at that point I should have trashed it but just couldn't make myself do it. So I got the Titebond III out and went to work. I glued all the pieces and let sit for 48 hrs. I then sanded it thru the grits. Finished it with Antique oil and 3 coats of satin rattle can poly. You can only see two places where there is a glue line. Oh well the LOML has flowers in it and she says she loves it. She tells everyone it is her glue up.

Attachments

• Amboyna Vase 5.jpg
    Amboyna Vase 5.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Amboyna Vase 6.jpg
    Amboyna Vase 6.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 49
I think it gives it character, a personallity of its own. when you can save a mistake or an oopps that is always real cool.

Bernie, beautiful piece... with all those edges, you must have gotten all the blood off quite well (before it blew up)... I love natural edge pieces like this, but sure is hard on my old hands.

Thanks everyone. Larry I did just give that a try tonight with some india ink. I mixed some reds, blacks, etc till I found something close the put a little on. I must admit all but one place seem to disappear.