bugs in cedar

Ralph Tafoya

i got some cedar local here in colorado. found worms in the wood close to the heart wood. how do you get rid of them before you turn the pieces for bowls?next what are tags for and what are they used for and how?you know down at the bottom of the text box.

Why are you denying those bugs a free ride on your lathe?? Chuck it up, turn it on and start cutting. When you collect enough bugs, take a break and go fishing then when you run out of bugs, go back to turning! Larry isn't a turner, but bet he would agree with this philosophy!;)

I don't have any better advice than Jonathans. :rofl:

The tags are used to specify keywords that refer to the content of your post. There is a new Tag Search option under Search that one can search for posts with specific tags.

Ralph, I've never tried to get rid of the bugs before turning. Between the turning and the DNA bath, the mortality rate is 100%. You may have to clean your face shield a bit more often, but the bug holes make for an interesting finished piece.

By the way, you'll notice I added two tags to this thread. That way, if anyone searches for either of those two words with the new "Tag Search" feature, they will find this thread easily.

i got some cedar local here in colorado. found worms in the wood close to the heart wood. how do you get rid of them before you turn the pieces for bowls?next what are tags for and what are they used for and how?you know down at the bottom of the text box.

Don't know about the tags... never use them myself..

Re the bugs.. only problem you may run into, if they're still alive, they do tend to splatter when you hit them with a gouge....:eek::eek::eek:
keep your mouth closed, unless you are another Bear Grylls.:rofl::eek:

Well after reading all that was said and rereading my own post i meant to put after turning :eek::eek::eek::eek: it seems that i will not get all of the bugs out while i am turning the bowl.i showewd my bowl to a friend and she told me about some friends that had a bed frame made of cedar and the head board was next to a wall heater and when them bugs woke up with the extra heat it was pure pandomanium. i can just imagin the scene as the bugs crawwled over the people in the bed.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
i just did not want a bug to crawl out of the bowl when someone handled the bowl.:eek::eek::rofl::rofl:

Fc = mv2/r, where Fc = centrifugal force,

m = mass, v = speed, and r = radius

In other words, the worms will depart on their own, However it is advised to wear a face shield. :thumb:

bugs

When I was sent to Panama I got several pieces of mahogany to send home. Laws required that I seal the wood with two coats of poly. This seals the wood and the bugs sufficate. For a 2 X 4 about a month will do the job.:wave:

Waiter...what's this worm doing in my soup!!!!...Why, but backstroke, of course. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh yeah...back to the original question...freeze the block or blank, in a ziploc type bag, if possible. Couple of days is fine, then thaw in the bag for moisture control. The little suckers are frozen into protein pellets...suitable for framing!!
Cheers :wave: