Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bugs in cedar

Question bugs in cedar

i got some cedar local here in colorado. found worms in the wood close to the heart wood. how do you get rid of them before you turn the pieces for bowls?next what are tags for and what are they used for and how?you know down at the bottom of the text box.

Why are you denying those bugs a free ride on your lathe?? Chuck it up, turn it on and start cutting. When you collect enough bugs, take a break and go fishing then when you run out of bugs, go back to turning! Larry isn't a turner, but bet he would agree with this philosophy!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I don't have any better advice than Jonathans.

The tags are used to specify keywords that refer to the content of your post. There is a new Tag Search option under Search that one can search for posts with specific tags.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Ralph, I've never tried to get rid of the bugs before turning. Between the turning and the DNA bath, the mortality rate is 100%. You may have to clean your face shield a bit more often, but the bug holes make for an interesting finished piece.

By the way, you'll notice I added two tags to this thread. That way, if anyone searches for either of those two words with the new "Tag Search" feature, they will find this thread easily.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Tafoya View Post
    i got some cedar local here in colorado. found worms in the wood close to the heart wood. how do you get rid of them before you turn the pieces for bowls?next what are tags for and what are they used for and how?you know down at the bottom of the text box.
    Don't know about the tags... never use them myself..

Re the bugs.. only problem you may run into, if they're still alive, they do tend to splatter when you hit them with a gouge....
    keep your mouth closed, unless you are another Bear Grylls.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Well after reading all that was said and rereading my own post i meant to put after turning it seems that i will not get all of the bugs out while i am turning the bowl.i showewd my bowl to a friend and she told me about some friends that had a bed frame made of cedar and the head board was next to a wall heater and when them bugs woke up with the extra heat it was pure pandomanium. i can just imagin the scene as the bugs crawwled over the people in the bed.
    i just did not want a bug to crawl out of the bowl when someone handled the bowl.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    i just did not want a bug to crawl out of the bowl when someone handled the bowl.
    That would be priceless to see happen!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

It could be worse, if they're using it as a cereal bowl and the bug starts doing the back stroke...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Might be a good idea to microwave the wood for a few seconds to kill 'em off before you turn them loose in your house. They just might take up residence in the wood frame of you abode and have a feast

Fc = mv2/r, where Fc = centrifugal force,

m = mass, v = speed, and r = radius

In other words, the worms will depart on their own, However it is advised to wear a face shield.