Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another rebuild

Another rebuild

Sorry I beed lax guys but I have been busy with a mill rebuild. Didn't get any pic was in a hurry. I do have a South Bend lathe I am going through now. I am concentrateing on my machine shop this winter getting things ready for summer wood working. I have a list from the boss and it seems I am going to need a few things builte to complete her wished
    Here's the project

Reg

Reg, I'd love to have a lathe like that, big enough to use and get a lot of work from, but not a monster.

I'll look forward to this rebuild
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Hey Reg, how old is that machine. To me it looks like something out of the 40's. How do you know if a machine if worth rebuilding?
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

This should be fun to watch. I'm pretty ignorant about metal lathes. Hopefully I can learn something.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good morning guys. Roy you have to look at the ways. That will tell you the story on the machine. It has what looks like flakeing on it it has had very little use. Most of it is worn off under the head. There are a few articals on checking out a lathe.
    This lathe is a 1947. There is a tag on it " This Machine Conforms To Orders Of The War Product Board". You can find the info on these old machines telling where it went, how it was tooled, date shiped, price etc...
    Stu this would go into your dungon nicely.
    Vaughn a metal lathe is like a wood lathe....It would be a small learning curve for the transition.
    I have a lot of it apart so I will get a few pics so you can have a peek inside tonight or tomorrow.....we have a bit of snow that fell last night and I need a little warmer weather to do a few things
    Reg

Sorry I haven't posted any pic yet guys. This thing is so nasty I can't handle the cam. I have a lot of it cleaned up now so I will try to sneek the wifes cam out tomorrow...
    Reg

hey reg!
    lookin` forward to your rebuild.....i did a small atlas a few years back, pretty handy!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Reg,
    That's a SB heavy 10 isn't it? Looks like it was set up for small part production work with the collet closer and the turret tail stock.
    I had my eye on one a few years ago, but it wasn't tooled well and had other issues. I would really like to have a heavy unit like that, but it wasn't to be.

I'll be interested in seeing your pictures as you go.

Wes

Reg, does this lathe have the ability to mount a chuck?

If it is collet only, is that a real limiting factor?

The reason I ask is that there are a couple smaller lathes on auction here cheap, but they are collet only, no chucks (that I can see....?) I should post some pics and see what you have to say about them...?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hey Stu.
    This will take a chuck too. This paticular machine was used, I assume, for production of some small pieces of some sort made out of brass. Or at least it should have been because the apron it full of brass chips. I would think a "Collet" only machine would be used as a 2nd operation machine. I say "would think" because I have never seen a collet only machine. Not saying they don't make them I just have never seen one
    As far as limiting factor, I would think so and quiet expensive to tool. With a chuck as you know the piece gets bigger you just crank the chuck open more. If it has a collet closer you have to buy another collet to accomidate for the new size. Now what happens if you need to turn something larger than a collet size because you can only fit in the collet something that will fit into the hole the drawbar passes through. Mine has a 2 1/8 hole, I think. That limits me to 2 1/8 on a collet. Now in a chuck I can open it to about 6".
    Reg
    Last edited by Reg Mitchell; 02-27-2009 at 01:20 PM.