Another rebuild

offerin all that good food i might want to stay the night and leave in the am,, wouldnt want to missout on a chance fer some good cookin,,:) never know it might be my last chance fer a good meal:rofl::rofl:

Larry thats whats gonna keep ppl alive and fed when Mr Magic man runs out of money. :dunno:
I got out tonight and took my spindle to a friends to press off the gears to replace the bearing. Went like clockwork and I will post some pics tomorrow to show you the assembly before I take it back apart to paint the head casting. Man I am glad that part is over. :clap:
Reg

Well I worked tonight until I dropped a taper pin :huh: and that ended that. Its a small pin that pins a nut in that mess of gears so I will have to fine it before I can put it on the machine or forget it. Hers the head with new bearing and the gear box almost finished :thumb:

Lathe035.jpg

Lathe037.jpg

Lathe038.jpg

Lathe039.jpg

Lathe041.jpg

Lathe042.jpg

Lathe044.jpg

I will try to find a taper pin tomorrow and then I will hopefully get the gear I had mad in a cpl days. I should have the bed back on the stands and ready for the head and goodies to go together. I am thinking I still have a few little pieces yet to paint :eek:
Reg

Reg your work and efforts leave me speachless. All i can say is WOW.

This reminds me of a time way back when I was 12 and used to fix the good old washing machine with my Dad. Great fun keeping that thing going.

Keep up the good work and the recycling.:thumb:

Aloha Roy. No I don't have a beading machine. I just used a wire wheel on a drill press to clean them up. Some times you just gotta do with what you have. Its not that bad Just a little messy sometimes.
Rob its a lot of fun doing rebuilds. I Don't think somethings should be discarded just because they are old. Most of them were made to be rebuilt. So it you got time and not a lot of money why not. Beside you get a better quality machine as opposed to what is on the market today and it helps you understand your machine much better
Reg

That is really looking good, Reg. Boy can I ever empathize with you on dropping and then trying to find "little" parts. I've lost most feeling in some of my fingers due to carpal tunnel syndrome, and drop things and then later realize I don't have it any more. I don't know what I would do without my "Several" cheap HF welding magnets. I even finally figured out that If I fastened a zip lock baggie around them, I could keep them clean and use them without having all that metal dust and junk collect on them. Sure makes finding small things easier, especially in sawdust or other trash.:D

Almost finished the pan today and painted the head casting and a few little parts. :D Hopefully I will get the gear tomorrow and I had to call on a friend at one fo the local industries to "procure" me a taper pin. Seems the local places didn't have the particular size I needed but could order it for me. Just a little over $4 and the pin is $.56.:eek: And ppl wonder where the economy is going. I'll start adding a few pics now that things are starting to go back together
Reg

Reg, in the first pic and especially in the 2nd pic in your post above, it shows the bearing with a spacer of some sort with two holes in it. I'm not familiar with that type of bearing, but I would guess the spacer must be tapered on the bottom and is for some kind of adjustment. Could you explain how that works? (just looking for a little education here).:D Does it spread the bearing halves and tighten it against the bearing caps OR is it just a spacer between the two halves? .......:huh::dunno:

Last edited:
Sorry Norman, was in the garden today and didn't get here much. Yes. The piece you are talking about is an ajustment to ajust the bearing on the spindle. It has a sorta dovetail in the bottom that fits or slides over the bearing edges that is beveled so it sorta locks it together. Under that "spacer" is a piece of felt that spreads oil to get under the bearing. When the cap is placed on the bearing it has a slot in the cap underside that fits over the "spacer" and holdes it so it doesn't rotate. Too if you note it has 2 threaded holes. That is for the ajustment to tighten and loosen the bearing. I will get a pic of the old one tomorrow
Its spring, of close, so I have been getting the garden ready and planting things today so I will be off and on with the lathe and to I will be starting to gather materials for the outdoor oven so we can bake bread and pizza outdoors which is more fune anyway and cutting on the energy cost. Hopefully I am thinking about solar in the future also.
Man If I get done what I would like I can work 2 yrs after I am dead fuigaring I am alive for at least 10 more years.

Sorry Norman, was in the garden today and didn't get here much. Yes. The piece you are talking about is an adjustment to adjust the bearing on the spindle. It has a sorta dovetail in the bottom that fits or slides over the bearing edges that is beveled so it sorta locks it together. Under that "spacer" is a piece of felt that spreads oil to get under the bearing. When the cap is placed on the bearing it has a slot in the cap underside that fits over the "spacer" and holds it so it doesn't rotate. Too if you note it has 2 threaded holes. That is for the adjustment to tighten and loosen the bearing. I will get a pic of the old one tomorrow
Its spring, of close, so I have been getting the garden ready and planting things today so I will be off and on with the lathe and to I will be starting to gather materials for the outdoor oven so we can bake bread and pizza outdoors which is more fun anyway and cutting on the energy cost. Hopefully I am thinking about solar in the future also.
Man If I get done what I would like I can work 2 yrs after I am dead fuigaring I am alive for at least 10 more years.

Thanks for the explanation, Reg. Looks like my "Guess" wasn't TOO far off.:D
How do the gears lube? Do they run in Gear Oil or just use Grease? In the pictures it didn't look like there were enough machined areas to make a sealed case when the two halves are put together, but maybe I missed some.

What style of outdoor oven are you going to build? I used to buy bread occasionally from some Indians in New Mexico that used an outdoor oven built kinda like a half sphere using materials like adobe and then skim coated with a fire clay like is used to coat the bricks in some well built fireplaces. Sure was good bread.:D I can't recall what they called those ovens.:eek::dunno:

Sorry Norman I just could not miss it. Guess you had a seniors moment. I have not posted any pictures in this thread. Sorry.:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wasn;t gonna say anything......:dunno:
It will be like the ones you are talking about but maybe a litttle more fire brick inside. It will be about 3' amybe 4' dia. We bake our won bread and grind our own flower from spelt, wheat or corn

Reg

home made bread,, i will stay all summer reg :) there is nothing better than fresh bread and butter:) you must have a tuff time gettin threw the doors if yu get fed like that regulary:)

Well here's s few pics of the lathe as where it stands to date. I got to do a little today but I was out getting horse poop today for the garden....:rofl:

Lathe045.jpg

Lathe046.jpg

Lathe047.jpg

Lathe048.jpg

Lathe049.jpg

Now heres where it starts getting intresting. Have felts that wind throught the apron to oil shafts and gears. There isn't anything in the lit. I have giveing me a clue. Altho there is a few pics I have of another guy that did a 13 " so thats what I have to go in. Here's the parts I have to fit into the apron

Lathe050.jpg

Lathe051.jpg

Lathe052.jpg

There are a few more but they are out drying

Reg

Sorry Norman I just could not miss it. Guess you had a seniors moment. I have not posted any pictures in this thread. Sorry.:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wasn;t gonna say anything......:dunno:
It will be like the ones you are talking about but maybe a litttle more fire brick inside. It will be about 3' amybe 4' dia. We bake our won bread and grind our own flower from spelt, wheat or corn

Reg

OOPS, I must have been using Larry' fingers to type that post with.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry Larry, :eek::eek::eek::D

Norman
heres the bearing you were wanting to see. Atually its the old one but it serves the purpous
Lathe053.jpg

Lathe054.jpg

Lathe055.jpg

Those holes are threaded and you can ajust the dia a little by tightening or loosening the little spreader that is dove tailed in the slit in the bearing

I finally recieved the gear I have been waiting on

Lathe057.jpg

And got it installed in the QCGB. Now I will be attaching it to the bed and starting on the apron and attaching the spindle to the bed and adding the spindle

Lathe058.jpg

Lathe059.jpg

Reg

Wow, it's coming along nicely now. Thanks for the pic of that bearing. Now that I've seen it, I "Vaguely" remember seeing something similar to that a Loooooong time ago, but can't remember what it was on. I guess you got the placements figured out for the felts to lube the gears, eh? I do remember felt lube strips being used in a lot of things that were made ,.....back when.....:D