brrr & jacob's chuck question...

Ned Bulken

attachment.php

I am SO waiting for spring, or at least temps above 30 before I go back out to the shop...

I was out there tonight trying to drill a couple of pen blanks, using a HF basic chuck I borrowed from Mark. Two questions... as I was drilling into the blank using the lathe, the Jacobs chuck kept coming loose from the tailstock, as well as the head of the chuck from the Morse taper part . (this chuck comes in two pieces) Any advice for locking either part in place for future reference, or is 20* just too darned cold and it will work better when it is above freezing?

My poor heater just couldn't keep up with the wind chill tonight (yes insulation would help too), so I shut down the heater, turned off the lights and shivered my way back into the house.

Attachments

• brrr.jpg
    brrr.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 170
I feel your pain. The last big order I had was when it was -25. The heater got the garage up to -2. With your chuck, try cleaning both parts really good, dust with a talcum powder and seat with a whack. Depending on the tolerance on the parts, the cold temp could be causing them to part ways. You could try bringing the chuck in the house to warm up and seat it on the taper that is still cold. This will allow the taper to seat deeper in the chuck. When I worked defense some of our parts were "freezer fit".

Are you guys talking Fahrenheit or Centigrade? Whatever I sympathise. Here in the Old Country we shut up shop whenever it gets below 0 degrees Centigrade (32 Fahrenheit) The coldest I have ever seen was in Chicago in October. There was an almighty wind off the lake and the windchill took it to -60 for an hour. Never again thank you.

The occasional frost and 1 or 2" of snow is enough for me here in Cornwall (England not Ontario)

Pete

Dale had some good advice, Ned. I might not have gotten all the cosmoline residue off of the jacobs taper junction between the chuck and the MT2 spindle. Hit it with a clean cloth and some mineral spirits.