Walnut NE

Mark Cothren

Recently completed... 13-1/2" x 9" x 4-1/2"

BWNE01-1.jpg

BWNE03.jpg

Here's a series of progress shots on another NE I turned a while back...

And you make it look so easy, too. ;)

Great-looking bowl, Mark. I've been rough turning a few smaller NE bowls out of some Jacaranda I got a while back from a neighbor. It's got nice firm bark that seems to hang on real good.

you arent playun fair!!!

that natural edge stuff is what take's my eye every time, and then you go and show the sequence of its birth aswell... maybe i am feeling ill:) nice thread and project:thumb::thumb:

Sort of off topic, but I was talking to the guy who does our lawns today, and he told me a week or two ago he cut down a big walnut tree nearby and hauled it to the dump. I just about doubled over in pain. I made it clear to him that if he runs into any more walnut (or maple) I'd definitely save him some dump fees. He's given me wood before, and gotten bowls in return. I wish he'd have been thinking of me this time. :bang:

Those propellers aren't the easiest things to turn or sand. The hardest part for me is finishing the bottom and getting consistant wall thickness with the inside of the bowl. Would you describe how you finish the bottom and what is the finish you used? Very nice bowl.

Terry,I use the new wave sanding disc to sand them,then use the beal buff on the bottom,then for the inside I use the same buff compound,but have buff wheels that I use in a hand held drill if the buff wheels can't get inside the piece,wax the same way.Ya don't want to try sandin them with the lathe runnin,it could hurt :( hope this helps.

For us poor people who haven't got vacuum chucks, turn a dome shape in some scrap and put some foam on it to prevent it marking the wood. If you make sure when turning the spigot on the bottom to put a dimple in the centre, you can bring up your tail stock, centre the bowl using the dimple and clamp the bowl between the tail and the dome and carefully clean up the bottom leaving a small inverted cone that can be cut of with a sharp chisel. The dome can be shaped to the inside of the bowl and made to protrude away from the chuck if necesseray due to the length of the 'wings'

HTH Pete