Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Bushings????

Router Bushings????

ok here is a question for you router wizards.. why are there differnt sets of these out there? i mistakenly got a set from leevalley that was to big for the router in which i needed to use it. so i know have some purty brass things that i dont see any use for..they were 1.75" dia .. then i wake up and measure the router..1.1875 is what i need.. but i go to rockler and they have two different sets.. one is chrome looking and the other is brass looking.. cost is different as well.. so to the root of my jabbering.. what is the most recommended set. i am going to be doing some template routing soon and need a set to do that. thanks for the replys and any batter i get for my denseness
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

What kind of router Larry

Hey Larry,

I picked up the boxed set from Woodcraft to fit my PC 690. They work fine and were not too expensive. They're brass so, should the ever slip, or you use the wrong bit, they won't do damage to the bit. Well, at least that's my understanding. The 'chrome' looking ones might be aluminum for the same reason.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

i was leaning towards the brass for that reason rennie.. and the other ones were steel.. ..jay its a PC router and i also will be using these on a bosch colt that has PC bushing plate.. but why do they have the bigger ones? one would think that the companys would have some kind of standards to maintain

Some genius thought it was smart to go against the PC style ... sometimes plowing your own road is worthwhile, but on something like this it just seems silly not to stick with the standard.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Your 1.1875 is 1-3/16" which is the standard PC collar size. Most that fit this size actually call them "PC" bushings even if they are made by someone else ;-)

These definitely have varying quality and I found out the hard way that "average" quality machining on these can cause you real grief. I have some "precision" ones from Whiteside (I get them from Holbren) that I use with certain jigs but for general use I have this set. I prefer the short collar length as I use 1/4" MDF for templates. Long ones like these are a problem for me.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

ok glenn you make alot of sense ,THANKS,see i am still tryun to wake up here.. the one i have for my DT jig is a precison one but thats from many moons ago and i had forgot the wisdom you just reminded me of ok last question,, whats the reasoning for longer one rather than your short ones?

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.
    I have a Bosch 1617 EVSPK which spends a lot of time in the table, unless I need it for plunge routing. I also have a PC 691 for the dovetail jig. Bosch makes a set of bushings that snap into their base; handy, but they don't seem very sturdy. They also make an adapter that snaps into the base and accepts the standard PC bushings. That's what I normally use. I always use a centering pin.

As for brass vs steel, I think the conventional wisdom is that you can snug the brass ones tight enough by hand, but steel rings sometimes vibrate loose unless you snug them down with pliers.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Maio; 02-24-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ok glenn you make alot of sense ,THANKS,see i am still tryun to wake up here.. the one i have for my DT jig is a precison one but thats from many moons ago and i had forgot the wisdom you just reminded me of ok last question,, whats the reasoning for longer one rather than your short ones?
    I assume the longer ones provide a more stable surface for that type of use although I don't know what that is. Someone will hopefully chime in who does this. My templates are almost exclusively 1/4" material so the short ones (.24") work best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Maio View Post
    I have a Bosch 1617 EVSPK which spends a lot of time in the table, unless I need it for plunge routing. I also have a PC 691 for the dovetail jig. Bosch makes a set of bushings that snap into their base; handy, but they don't seem very sturdy. They also make an adapter that snaps into the base and accepts the standard PC bushings. That's what I normally use. I always use a centering pin.

As for brass vs steel, I think the conventional wisdom is that you can snug the brass ones tight enough by hand, but steel rings sometimes vibrate loose unless you snug them down with pliers.

Tony
    I got Pat Warner bases for my Bosch routers (including my Colt) that accept "standard" collars. Item 2903 here can help with loosening collars although a small pair of channel locks with rubber dipped jaws work fine for me .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I don't know Larry sounds like someone just goofed on these I have a older Hitachi mv12 router and it has to have an adapter to reduce the size to use the standard PC guides maybe thats what you got.
    Jay