Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Okie City

Hello from Okie City

Good afternoon everyone. I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided it was high time I introduced myself. My name's Terry Rodecker and I hail from the great state of Oklahoma. In years gone by I helped my parents with their antique business by refinishing and refurbishing antique and collectible furniture. I've done a good amount of stripping, scraping, sanding, staining, and finishing as well as turning a table leg or finial every now and then and cutting a new apron. Over the years since then I've dabled in woodworking but mainly on small projects. I've been doing a simple cross for folks at my church and made a couple of small wall clocks. Lately though I've been getting a hankering to make something a bit bigger. My wife is tired of our bed frame and has asked me to make a new one for her. I've got some ideas but I'll most likely ask in the designs, plans, and sketches forum for some pointers and advice on where to start.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to everyone and say that the craftsmanship that's apparent from the members of this forums is simply outstanding. I'm both in awe of the work listed here and, to a certain extent, intimidated by it. Then again, everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Welcome Terry Don't feel intimidated here, the good folks here put up with rookies like me, so you need not worry. Lots of good info just for the asking Besides it sounds like we will be able to question you on re-finishing.

Tom

Welcome to the Family Terry.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Besides it sounds like we will be able to question you on re-finishing.
    Not that I want to give away my age too much but that was back in the early '80s. My mom still has all the furniture books we bought back then so we could classify the various pieces of furniture. She recently asked me if I wanted them and I recoiled in horror remembering those wonderful days when everyone else was out playing football, hanging out at the mall, etc, and I was scraping the last bit of "antiquing paint" off of the burl walnut headboard we just picked up.

Welcome Terry don't be intimidated by anyone on here. These are great folks on here and very helpful. We all had to start somewhere too.
    One more thing don't forget to put where you are at in the profile so after this thread is forgotten about we will know where your at.
    Jay

Welcome Terry! Glad to have you join the Family! Pull up a chair, antique or not, and sit a spell.
    I'm originally from Ada, so while I call myself a Texan these days, I still have my Okie roots! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

welcome terry and age just makes you wizer not older
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    I don't know bout that Larry. I have seen some purty dumb old people
    Welcome Terry
    Careful Chuck I resemble that remark
    Jay

Welcome to the family Terry!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Welcome aboard, Terry. As others have said, no intimidation necessary. I suspect your experiences with furniture refinishing will be of help to someone here at some point down the road. We've got folks at every skill and experience level around here, so I'm sure you'll fit right in.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com