Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench, Its gota be done...

Workbench, Its gota be done...

So I've stopped myself from going ahead with any project till I get a usable bench, The garage floor just isnít going to do the job Anyway, Iíve thrown together a little layout in MS Paint , the scale Iím sure is a bit off, but Iím trying to put down first what all I'll need at least on the top.

The work bench has to serve as a general work area, router table (thatís removable), and an out feed table for my planer which also will be mounted on a table.

Here is a little description of the table in the image; the whole white surface will be melamine. The blue lines are going to be T-Track. I've put 3 in, 2 will be used for the fence(brown), the extra one along with the fence track fill be used for feather boards(red). The router will be in the grey area that can be swapped out with a melamine filler when itís not in use. The grey and yellow object on the bottom table is the planer, it will sit to the right of the workbench. The workbench serves as the out feed and the planer table has some extra room for the in feed.

I'll probably end up putting some threaded inserts on the side for stops, The other thing Iím wondering about is the need for a couple more rails going from left to right to act as guides for sleds.

If you guys are willing please make any comments or suggestions that you think might help me make sure I get about everything Iíd need for small projects. Once I get the basic needs figured out Iíll work on fine tuning the design.

Thanks

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workbench v1.JPG  

Don't give up on the floor yet. There's a big advantage to that. You won't drop tools on you foot.

I don't what you're thinking of for dimensions but I would suggest that you consider the location of the router insert plate. Make sure it isn't too far in from an edge so that you can work over it without having to reach too far. If you need a larger work surface for some things, you can work from the other side.

If at all possible, I would suggest two different structures. One as a workbench and the other as a router table. Make them the same height if you wish. I'd make the bench narrower to make it easier to work from all sides.

any opinions you get are going to be tainted by what the opiner is used to and the type of stuff they build so your mileage may vary.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Good point, the less broken toes the better , but unfortunately on the bench my work area is very very limited. The whole shop will be in my garage that has to have the room to have both our cars and the riding lawnmower in it and its barley even a 2 car garage, although Iím starting to get the temptation to leave my car in the drive and just make sure the wifeís car can fit. I might end up doing this as a quickie project that will be redone overtime as my tool collection expands.

I'll keep in mind the suggestion about the placement of the router, maybe take some measurements leaning over a table of similar height of what fills comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post

If at all possible, I would suggest two different structures. One as a workbench and the other as a router table. Make them the same height if you wish. I'd make the bench narrower to make it easier to work from all sides.

I agree. A bench is bench.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Chris, out of curiosity how much do you anticipate using your router table? You might consider making your bench a bit more of a permanent design and then make a temporary router table that hinges down on the end of the bench or something. When the day comes that you don't need to share the shop with cars, you can build a new router table and remove the temporary one from the bench.

Just a thought.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Marlor View Post
    ... has to have the room to have both our cars and the riding lawnmower in it ...
    Um, why would anyone park cars in a shop?

It's not like they'll catch cold outside!

Thanks,

Bill

(whose car hasn't slept a night inside since 1995...

Well the whole top was going to be temp in the sense. The board of melamine would be able to pop out after removing screws that would hold it down to the base frame of the workbench that would have supporting rails underneath. Then I can just pop on a new surface and use the old piece, by cutting it down, on a separate routing station. In a way its kind of the same as your suggestion, just different in the placement.

I'm pretty sure Iíll be using the router quite a bit, but things do change. Wanted to make this table fairly interchangeable and adjustable for future needs, without remaking the whole thing.

What Iíll try to do is to get my space ready and build the frame for the workbench built without having the tabletop inserted. See how much room I have and what the needs are from there.

Looks like tonight I get to clean the garage

I'll update asap with the space/tools I have... Mybe this topic should be more of putting the 'shop' together then just workbench

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post

Thanks,

Bill

Amen brother!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Thanks,

Bill
    Bill I promised the the building inspector that I wouldn't park any vehicle in the shop!!!! Other wise I would have had to make all my outlets (110v and 220v) GFCI outlets and or circuits We started going round and round that is was a shop, not a garage!! He came back and said the permit is for a garage! Finally rather than making me change things he just said promise me no car will be parked inside. My reply was, "where would that be" looking at the tools in front of the door
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Amen brother!
    My car would go mad if I locked it inside.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke