Ridgid 3650

Found one of these after many phone calls and it is the display model. They said that is missing the "guard on the side". Couldn't really get clarification what that is. Said it's not the blade guard.

Anyone help out with this? It's a 2 hour drive 1 way for me to see it and don't want to drive all the there if it's a part that is needed.

I have a 3560, but I don't know what they're talking about with a "guard on the side". I wonder if it's someone who doesn't know tablesaws, and they're talking about the fence. :dunno: Royall's suggestion of asking for a picture might work. If it is indeed the blade guard that's missing, I've got one available for the cost of shipping.

You might look into putting a different fence on it. I've got an Incra fence on my 3650. In fact, I could probably be persuaded to sell my Ridgid fence, since I no longer use it. I've been saving it for the future, in case I get a cabinet saw and want to move the Incra fence system to it, but right now I could probably use the money more than the fence.

Personally, I'd save up my lunch money to get the Ridgid over any of the Deltas I've seen in the same price range.

Another vote for the ridgid with an aftermarket fence! I have the same setup as Vaughn, but the original fence was good as well. A display model, without a fence, should be about half price of new... What kind of discount are they offering?

Thanks,

Bill

She wouldn't say on the phone. She did however say "I will cut you a deal to get it the heck out of my store". So no telling what that might be. I might just take a road trip to go an look tomorrow. I don't go back to work till Friday night.

The way the retailer work I would be surprised if they did NOT give 50% discount. I'd be on their door step first thing in the mornin!! From what I've seen of that saw it is a well built machine.:thumb: Heck even if you couldn't find a used fence, you'd probably still be money ahead getting one from the supplier. And besides...... I love spenging other peoples money:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree it sounds like it's worth taking a drive to check out. Being a store display model, it may be pretty rough to look at, but there are enough 3560 owners here I'll bet we can walk you through anything that needs to be handled. As long as the table isn't cracked, the motor appears intact, and the inner workings look they they are all still there, it'll likely make a good saw. Things like stains from Coke cans being set on the table, or misaligned extension wings, or even missing hand crank wheels can all be fixed pretty easily.

Do a little homework before going there. As we all know, parts are very expensive when purchased by themselves. So, go to Ridgid's parts website and figure out what they would charge you for a fence and rail system. Deduct that amount from the $399 that saw is currently selling for plus a little more because it's a display model. That would be a good starting point for your negotations with her.

Well, I found out more from a different manager today. The fence is missing the belt is missing and they believe one of fence rails is missing. Pricing to replace this is a little over 200 bucks from what I can find. They are only willing to drop the price 100 dollars to 300. I think I am going to have to pass sadly. I just don't want to have to put alot a money into it right off the bat. So I will keeping checking CL and looking.

Thanks to all that replied. I do appreciate the help.

Oh and on a side note I did find another one about 1 1/2 hours in a different direction. I think I met the most honest sales person ever. She said " I do have the floor model, but it looks like it has leprosy". Said things were just in parts and it was in real bad shape and she would be embarrassed to even sell it to me.

Oh and if anyone has another other ideas that would be great. Keep in mind I do not have 220 in my garage and being how I am being transferred in a year I can't justify the expense to put it in. All my breakers are full except 2 slots and I only have 135 breaker box.

Dustin, I agree the one you were looking at seems a bit overpriced at $300 if it's missing the fence and a rail. (Still a bit lower than full price after you add the cost of the missing parts.)

A question for Vaughn and Bill: does your original blade guard fit over the rear Incra rail? I have a 3650, and have been toying with the idea of the Incra fence, but I won't work w/o the blade guard, and don't want to blow the budget on an aftermarket guard system as well. Thanks.

Tony
Tony, I don't have the definitive answer, since I haven't installed the blade guard except the first day I assembled the saw. (Just wanted to see what it looked like.) But, if the guard doesn't clear the back rail, it would be pretty easy to cut the rail and have a gap for the guard. I don't see how it would negatively affect the fence system. It'd make it a bit more hassle to slide the fence to the far left side of the table (like to a router table extension), but it'd still be very workable.

Tony, I don't have the definitive answer, since I haven't installed the blade guard except the first day I assembled the saw. (Just wanted to see what it looked like.) But, if the guard doesn't clear the back rail, it would be pretty easy to cut the rail and have a gap for the guard. I don't see how it would negatively affect the fence system. It'd make it a bit more hassle to slide the fence to the far left side of the table (like to a router table extension), but it'd still be very workable.

Vaughn: My saw is in VT, so I can't be sure, but I think that the 3650 has four holes for mounting each guide rail; two in the saw table, and one in each extension. I'm planning on replacing the left extension with a Bench Dog cast router table. I don't think the Bench Dog is drilled to attach to the rails. As I understand it, the Incra rails attach to the saw table only, and not the extensions. It seems that cutting the rear rail would require drilling at least one hole in the Bench Dog, so that the left rear rail would be bolted at two points. Similarly, I'd have to bolt the right rear rail to the table and the right extension. Unless I'm missing something (always possible) it might be more hassle than I care to deal with; the TS 3650 fence is not so bad.....

Tony

Last edited:
A question for Vaughn and Bill: does your original blade guard fit over the rear Incra rail? I have a 3650, and have been toying with the idea of the Incra fence, but I won't work w/o the blade guard, and don't want to blow the budget on an aftermarket guard system as well. Thanks.
Tony

Tony,

My blade guard never comes off (except for dados, and I have a sled for that). Others do it differently, I'm just weird that way... ;)

My setup is a tad unusual. The shop is small, and the floor is far from flat. Long story short, I built a cabinet on casters for the 3650. The router table insert is mounted to the right of the blade, as is the incra. This gives me the ability to make a supported cut out to 48" to the right of the blade. Total cabinet length to the right is about 56", because the fence needs about that much for rail support. This also gives me a nice big "router table". When I want to use the router, I flip the incra around, and attach a 'wonder fence'.

All that to say I spent extra for the 96" rails, but didn't need anything like that much once I built the cabinet. So I simply cut the back rail where the blade guard attaches, and continued it on from there. My thinking for the continuation was that someday I may want to rout the middle of a very wide panel, but so far that hasn't happened, and besides, I have different ways for doing that now. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the shorter rails. Your mileage may vary... ;)

Here's a pic:

attachment.php

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Vaughn: My saw is in VT, so I can't be sure, but I think that the 3650 has four holes for mounting each guide rail; two in the saw table, and one in each extension. I'm planning on replacing the left extension with a Bench Dog cast router table. I don't think the Bench Dog is drilled to attach to the rails. As I understand it, the Incra rails attach to the saw table only, and not the extensions. It seems that cutting the rear rail would require drilling at least one hole in the Bench Dog, so that the left rear rail would be bolted at two points. Similarly, I'd have to bolt the right rear rail to the table and the right extension. Unless I'm missing something (always possible) it might be more hassle than I care to deal with; the TS 3650 fence is not so bad.....

Tony
Tony, I have my Incra rails attached to the table as well as both cast iron extensions, so I have four points of support, both front and back. Still, it's pretty easy to drill and tap additional holes in the edges of cast iron tables or extensions if necessary.

The factory fence is good, but the Incra takes the saw's capabilities to a different level, IMHO. :thumb: If I bought a SawStop tomorrow, I'd be putting an Incra set-up on it from the get-go.

saw

I agree it probably is worth the drive if you can get it for around 200- 300 bucks , let them pu cost of fence and either buy after market or direct from Ridgid, if you go on ridgid's forum I saw a Ridgid sales Rep that was new to the company make a post saying he would like feed back from customers who own ridgid tools he is out of New York area I thought, please to be careful with your new toy as well if you decide to buy and also maybe check craigs list or ebay for part or parts , just a few thoughts , happy hunting , I just bought a brand new TS3660 for 400.00 +tax so happy hunting for your meat,knuckle grinding machine.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm still in the process of setting mine up!!!! Later db