Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta/Milwaukee 1460 lathe

Delta/Milwaukee 1460 lathe

Well here's part two...

1950 Delta/Milwaukee model 1460 heavy duty lathe. This is the lathe part of the $100 purchase my dad and I found. It was also in great shape, though it didn't have a motor or a stand. We sandblasted it at the same time we did the WT BS and just slowly started collecting parts. We know we wanted variable speed and figured a VFD would be just the ticket. I found a NOS Marathon 2ph 3ph 1800rpm motor for $20. It was in the box and had never been installed! A check with Marathon found it was built in 1971 so it's old iron too . Factorymation recently reduced the price on the FM50 VFDs so I picked one up a few months ago. All we needed now was a set of legs. We wanted the original cast iron ones, but their hard to come by, especially at a reasonable price. Well, luck would have it, I found a set of original cast iron legs for a good price on Craig's list right up the road. At that point I had everything in hand except the boards. With a bit of detective work I found the original specs for the boards which were originally pine. Pine just seemed cheap, so I picked up some ash and built the boards, even got a bit of curl in them .

We made a box with a small 220v fan and filtering for the VFD to keep the cool and the dust out. The door is Plexiglas so I can keep an eye on it. The control stalk is just a 6"X6" box and the controls all mount within, main power for the VFD and a indicator light so I know when the power is on, forward/stop/reverse and a potentiometer to control the speed. The wiring was straight forward, just took it slow. Everything works great and the 2hp has so much torque on the low speed pulley setting it ain't funny.

My dad and I are both in 1 car garages so a mobile base is mandatory. The base is a Northern Tool 1200lb model. The base originally came with short spreaders though. We picked up some 1 1/4" square tubing and stretched it . Everything from the base up works great! Threw a 10" piece of wet maple on it and had a ball making shavings today. The power is awesome and the 0-full throttle speed control is the ticket! The only thing left is to get this stupid grin off my face

Mike

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Super gloat Mike, I wish I could find aaa treasure like that.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    The only thing left is to get this stupid grin off my face

Mike
    Well you got reason to grin!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Don,

Actually you helped out a bit on this one. Back in July you posted a tutorial on VFDs on the creek and we exchanged a couple of PMs. Your info is what got me going down the VFD/3ph trail. Worked out great just as you said!

3 phase via a VFD opens up so many new doors. Like most folks I shyed away from 3ph, but now that I know how simple and inexpensive VFDs are I'll be looking at 3ph machines in a whole new light. 3ph machines can generally be picked up for pennies on the dollar and the option of easy variable speed is SO nice! That and a basic VFD can generally be had for less than a new 1ph motor makes it all that more attractive.

Mike

Nice resto job. Mike. Two horses with that kind of low-end torque sounds like it'd be a lot of fun. Well done.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Don,

A question for you, I've been told VFDs are sensitive to dust and vibration. Just how sensitive to vibration and dust are they?

I mounted both the VFD to the box and the box to the bottom of shelf with rubber isolation bushings. Also, I installed a 60cfm fan to keep it cool. The bottom of the box is a filer, the decent quality heat/ac type which I cut down to fit. The output also has a cheap filter just to keep the big chunks out. I figured I really didn't need to worry about dust coming in the output end though.

Am I asking for problems or do you think I've got it covered sufficiently? If so do you have any recommendations?

Mike

Mike, you and your dad do nice work!

Way to go!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Mike as long as you are geting the heat out and with the vibrations mountings you should be OK. By preferance would be to have the VFD mounted toa wall but since you setup is portable you can't do that.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Beautiful NEW lathe there. Fine job.
    BTW, wats VFD?

Variable Frequency Drive