Unfinished bowl in water

The other day I was working on making a bowl on my lathe and due to time issues I had to stop before I completely roughed it out. I roughed out the outside but didn't start on roughing the inside. The proper procedure I'm aware of is to completely rough inside and out before soaking it in the DNA. So I didn't want to throw it in the ol' DNA bucket yet, but afraid of it drying improperly I threw it in a bowl of water with a weight on top, submerging it until I'm ready to finish the rough out. Sounds kinda silly I know, but am I ruining the piece? Don't want it to lose that moisture :dunno::rofl:

I don't think you'll be hurting anything by soaking it. I've left incomplete rough-outs overnight wrapped in a plastic bag, after wetting it down heavily with a spray bottle. If you leave a wet blank one wrapped up in plastic too long, it can start growing mold...sometimes it's cool spalting and other times it's just mold.

Westley

You won't hurt the blank a bit. I have a 35 gallon trash can with water that I fill up with cored blanks. When the can is full I go back and finish roughing by putting on a tennon and finishing the shape. At that point they go into the alcohol. I have left blanks in the water for a couple of weeks. Don't leave them in too long because the water starts to get pretty skunky.:D

I have never put them in water but do like Vaughn does. I spritz them down with water then wrap them pretty tightly with a plastic bag. I have left them for almost 24 hrs with no problems. I don't think you will hurt them if you don't leave it to long.

Cool, thanks for the response everyone. Maybe I'll tackle it sometime this weekend. Working in an unheated shed on your lathe in the winter of Wisconsin is not much fun :D Hands get a little chilly from that thing whippin around so fast only a couple inches away!