Box joint router bit

MLCS sells a box joint (finger joint) router bit that looks interesting to me. Has anybody used it? I would be interested in your opinion. My box joint jig drives me insane with it's need for hours of adjustments.

Thanks, DKT

Box Jig

I bought the box router bit - but have not used it yet.

The Lynn jig is supposed to be really good and accurate for box joints.

I don't like the standard keyed jig - seems I can never get it right - no matter how accurately I make it.

The Lynn jig is supposed to be really good and accurate for box joints.

I don't like the standard keyed jig - seems I can never get it right - no matter how accurately I make it.

I agree with the standard key jig, it drives me crazy. I'm on my 5th redesign, the latest being close to the jig mentioned in the next post without the fancy screw adjustment. I tried it today and it seems to be okay. I have the Freud box joint set (1/4 and 3/8) but found to my dismay that the 1/4 setup is actually wider than 1/4 inch. Wasnt too happy about that but it works.
Can you tell me more about the Lynn jig please?

DKT

...I have the Freud box joint set (1/4 and 3/8) but found to my dismay that the 1/4 setup is actually wider than 1/4 inch. Wasnt too happy about that but it works...

How much wider was it? I've not measured the cuts I get with mine, but the times I've used it, moving my Incra tablesaw fence 1/2" at a time, my box joints were right on the money. I wonder if you got a set that's not to spec? If that's the case, you might talk to the Freud folks and see what they can offer in the way of help.

I agree with the standard key jig, it drives me crazy. I'm on my 5th redesign, the latest being close to the jig mentioned in the next post without the fancy screw adjustment. I tried it today and it seems to be okay. I have the Freud box joint set (1/4 and 3/8) but found to my dismay that the 1/4 setup is actually wider than 1/4 inch. Wasnt too happy about that but it works.
Can you tell me more about the Lynn jig please?

DKT

http://www.leestyron.com/lynnjig.php

http://www.leestyron.com/lynnsjig.pdf

I have not made one yet, but my guess is that it is pretty accurate.

Some day when I get a "round-tu-it" I will make one.

Last edited: