Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finishing Blue Pine

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Finishing Blue Pine

Has anyone any experience in finishing blue pine?

It's really a shame with all the devastation the Pine Beetle causes. It sure makes some beautiful wood. I live in Montana, and we have areas that the majority of the trees are a red color or are dead. Unfortunately most of the "Save the world" groups won't allow the harvesting of the dead trees.

Anyway, getting off my soap box, I'm making some pieces out of some beautiful Blue Pine, but I really don't know how to finish it . Thanks in advace for any help I can get.

Jiggs Elphison

Delton, Michigan
    not sure what your after but pine is pine.. the blue color in it is from a disesa or burn scars or investation but it doesnt affect the finish any
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    First time I saw blue pine was years ago when I was cutting project wood for a tole painting instructor. Some of the ladies wanted me to make some special things for them with it. What ever made them happy Thinking back on it now I guess I could have charged more fore it because it was so "rare"

What goes around, comes around.

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Finishing Blue Pine

Thanks again for everyone's input - I guess I should have been more specific in my question - No matter what I've tried on the blue pine seems to darken the color so much that it loses the beauty - I've tried Watco Natural, Tung Oil, Poly (both satin and high gloss) - So far the best results is just putting a couple of thin coats of Bries Wax - I wanted something that would give it a finish that would hi-light the coloring - What i have is bands of red, yellow and black in the blue.

Jiggs Elphison

Honolulu, Hawaii

Finishing Blue Pine

Have you tried spraying Lacquer?

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Tokyo Japan

I'm from BC, Canada, originally, and our area has been hit hard by them beetles too. Up there they are calling that "Blue Pine" "Denim"

How about "Shellac" might give that a try............
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Odessa, Tx
    In addition to the suggestion to try spraying it with lacquer (nitrocellulose), I would also do a test with water based clear Lacquer, as it seems to have the least affect on raw woods, and doesn't even have a tendency to bring out the grain of the wood.

Shellac would be very nice.

I would treat it as norma pine, the blue may get darker though, so as usual I would make a trial on a scrap first.

I wish I could find this wood here, I can imagine some pieces made out of it.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

If you need a durable finish that builds try brushing on a coat of water-based polyurethane. Use a nylon bristle brush. Unlike the oil-based finishes, which impart somewhat of a honey-gold hue, water-based poly has very little affect on the color. Dries quickly. It's also durable enough to be rubbed out with rubbing compound, and depending on the final grit the finish can be left anywhere from satin to gloss...nice and smooth to the touch.