Finishing Blue Pine

Has anyone any experience in finishing blue pine?

It's really a shame with all the devastation the Pine Beetle causes. It sure makes some beautiful wood. I live in Montana, and we have areas that the majority of the trees are a red color or are dead. Unfortunately most of the "Save the world" groups won't allow the harvesting of the dead trees.

Anyway, getting off my soap box, I'm making some pieces out of some beautiful Blue Pine, but I really don't know how to finish it . Thanks in advace for any help I can get.

Jiggs Elphison

Thanks again for everyone's input - I guess I should have been more specific in my question - No matter what I've tried on the blue pine seems to darken the color so much that it loses the beauty - I've tried Watco Natural, Tung Oil, Poly (both satin and high gloss) - So far the best results is just putting a couple of thin coats of Bries Wax - I wanted something that would give it a finish that would hi-light the coloring - What i have is bands of red, yellow and black in the blue.

Jiggs Elphison

Jiggs

I'm from BC, Canada, originally, and our area has been hit hard by them beetles too. Up there they are calling that "Blue Pine" "Denim" :D

How about "Shellac" might give that a try............ :dunno:

In addition to the suggestion to try spraying it with lacquer (nitrocellulose), I would also do a test with water based clear Lacquer, as it seems to have the least affect on raw woods, and doesn't even have a tendency to bring out the grain of the wood.

I would treat it as norma pine, the blue may get darker though, so as usual I would make a trial on a scrap first.:dunno:

I wish I could find this wood here, I can imagine some pieces made out of it.

If you need a durable finish that builds try brushing on a coat of water-based polyurethane. Use a nylon bristle brush. Unlike the oil-based finishes, which impart somewhat of a honey-gold hue, water-based poly has very little affect on the color. Dries quickly. It's also durable enough to be rubbed out with rubbing compound, and depending on the final grit the finish can be left anywhere from satin to gloss...nice and smooth to the touch.

Cheers.

If you need a durable finish that builds try brushing on a coat of water-based polyurethane. Use a nylon bristle brush. Unlike the oil-based finishes, which impart somewhat of a honey-gold hue, water-based poly has very little affect on the color. Dries quickly. It's also durable enough to be rubbed out with rubbing compound, and depending on the final grit the finish can be left anywhere from satin to gloss...nice and smooth to the touch.

Cheers.

yup, waterbased is the least likely to impart any hue to the wood.

Well first of all I want to extend my thanks to all of you - I never thought I would have received as many comments on something like finishing blue pine.- I'm always hesitant in submitting a question because most of mine seem to be elementary and I don't want to appear ignorant, but I've never submitted a question that I didn't feel as though I just had private lessons from a group of experts. I guess this is why this is the best forum on the net.

I tried the water based wipe on satin poly and the shellac - they both give excellent results, the poly obviously is the easiest and fastest and that's what I'll stay with.

Again thanks
Jiggs Elphison

Jiggs