603a3.jpg

Miller Falls Type 10 before cleanup

mfb42.jpg

After 5 hour soak.

mfa1.jpg

mfa2.jpg

mfa3.jpg

Now just need to sharpen everthing!

Who sells the Evaporust, Mike? I might have to try that stuff as it looks like it "Might" be less hassle than the Electrolysis method, (at least on smaller items), and doesn't seem to leave the terrible stains/discoloration on the metal like Naval Jelly (which I absolutely will not use).:dunno:

Last edited:
Hi Norman

I know Lee Valley sells it in small quantities for 1 gallon you have to go to the store. But Google it and you will see loads of outlets. Probably one down the road from you when you do that.

Cheers

Harbor Freight has it in quarts and gallons.

It's re-usable, but it gets really gross looking after even just one use. It's much less fuss to use than electrolysis, and seems to do just as good a job.

I paid $23 for a gallon of Evaporust at O'Rileys autoparts store. It was the closest and first autoparts store I called. They have had it for years and none of the store clerks had ever used it but had seen a training video and said it looked impressive. They want to see my results. It does leave a dull grey finish.

I just went to Autozone here and picked up 2 32 oz. jugs of the stuff.
9.95 ea and then a rebate form for a final cost of 5.95 ea.
Gonna soak my Millers Falls and see how she comes out.

Slippery slope indeed!!

I get similar results with citric acid, it is safe, cheap, environmental friendly and you can dip your bare hands on it without problem, unless you have some cut on or wound on them.

Here are some pics of a bedrock 7 I restored sometime ago.citric02.jpgcitric03.jpgcitric04.jpgcitric01.jpg

Nice looking rehab, Mike. :thumb:

Like Toni, I've used citric acid before. I used Fruit-Fresh from the canning section of my local supermarket. I doubt it's pure citric acid, but it did the trick. I dissolved a jar of it in warm water, but don't remember the ratio. I just went for what looked like a strong suspension and soaked the metal for a few hours or overnight.

Evaporust is sold at Harbor Freight as well

Who sells the Evaporust, Mike? I might have to try that stuff as it looks like it "Might" be less hassle than the Electrolysis method, (at least on smaller items), and doesn't seem to leave the terrible stains/discoloration on the metal like Naval Jelly (which I absolutely will not use).:dunno:

Your local Harbor Freight store sells it for about $9 a gallon (I think that's the container size)

Toni, same with the Evaporust. You can dip your hands right in it.

What do you pay for citric acid? Where do you buy it?

Hi Mike.

I bought 1 Kg (2,20 pounds I guess) more than a year ago and I've only used about 1/4 of it. If I remember well it cost me about 2 Euros (about 2,2$)
I buy it at a local drugstore, they have all sorts of nasty stuff like nitric acid, oxalates, ammonia, all sorts of paint and varnish

Last edited: