Which one??

Which one

I don't have either of these but if I was getting one it would be the steel in place of the plastic. I would just feel better about the stability of it. I just prefer durable.
Chuck

Royall,

I've had the plastic one for about 10 years now and it has held up well. :thumb:

I don't have to use it that often (mostly for setting other people's jointer knives) but it looks as good now as it did when I bought it, 'cept more dusty. :rofl:

Save the few bucks, JMNSHO.

Aloha, Tony

Royal, You were not at the airport when I got in, so I went back home. :rofl:

I wish I was able to come help you with that. Someday.

Yes, the #03V32 has magnets in the ends of the plastic bars, just outside of the metal rods. The magnets are pretty strong too. They did good for me. I can't see buying the metal set, unless you plan on knocking them around a lot.

If you buy them and run into any trouble, give me a call.

I'm looking to buy a set of adjustable planer knife jigs, #145729, for the small diameter planer head on my Delta 12'. I have never changed knives on that since I bought it, but I don't use it much anyway.

Aloha, Tony

I use a Jointer Pal instead of the MagnaSet, but they're basically the same tool. They have magnets embedded in the arms that keep the jig flush to the table, and magnets at the ends of the arms to hold the knife being installed flush against the jig. Some are plastic, some are metal. Mine is metal and came with my Grizzly jointer, but if I were buying I'd probably get the metal one for the reason Charles mentioned. One thing to realize about this tool is that even though the magnets are strong, they won't prevent the small amount of shifting that occurs when the gibs are tightened. To confirm this, position a dial indicator on a magnetic base over the cutting circle and rotate the cutterhead so each knife passes under the dial indicator at the same spot. Also test it along the length of the knife. I use additional magnetic hold-downs to help keep my jig in place, and it helps. Tightening the gib bolts a little at a time and in the proper order also helps. Tighten enough that the knives around flying around the shop, but don't over-tighten to the point that the cutterhead is distorted...that also helps. Once you've fussed with it enough that you know what works you should be able to get it within a thousandths all around. This is the best tool I've used for getting jointer knives aligned.

Cheers.

Roy I have a pair of the jointer buddys. They worked fine for my 12" planer. Not sure how they would work with my 12" jointer I use a dile indicator for those
Reg