Thread: 12345

Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-29-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Delton, Michigan
    send them out and sorry for the roughness on the osb i sent along...i wil make sure it finished with glass like finish next time
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The Heart of Dixie
    Yup, use my Makita. But I only have 6" and 12" blades. Do all my chisel, and irons on there too.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Honolulu, Hawaii

Does any one?

Just how bad are those knives Chuck?

Maybe they only need a dressing up with one of those diamond hones or a "jointer blade hone", like what WC sells.

At least if the knives are not bad you wouldn't have to remove and install them.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

I sharpen my own. My jointer is 12", my planer is 20". It's taken awhile to get there, though. I have one of the Makita sharpeners, and could never get accurate results with it. I told my brother he could have it. I use a modified machine that I bought from Grizzly about 6 or 7 years ago. They don't sell it anymore...not surprised, as it had some flaws. 3450rpm motor for one thing...impossible not to burn the steel, and a slow-drip of machining fluid just got flung around the shop. The knife holder was also heavy and cumbersome to use. Eventually I changed out the motor for a variable speed dc motor from a treadmill and made a steel disk for the business end of the motor shaft. I attach various grit thin grinding wheels to the disk, depending on what shape the knives are in, and if I'm feeling ambitious finish it off with some 600/800 grit sandpaper (a la scary sharp), although this last step is unnecessary for these machines. I also modified the knife holder so it's lighter and easier to use, and did some work flattening and smoothing the two surfaces that slide together. I allocate an entire day for both machines, which includes sharpening 7 knives (3 jointer, 4 planer) and reinstalling and aligning them. If other things also need work (tables, rollers, etc) it can go into a second day. I think most folks consider this a waste of time, and prefer to send the knives out. I like being in control of the process. I like the results I get, so my tendency is to just do it when it's needed and not put it off. Also, my shop is not my livelihood, so spending a day or two on machine maintenance doesn't cut into cash flow.

many moons ago i built a jig to sharpen planer knifes on a 6x48 sander. it mounted to the table that straddled the belt, had an adjustable table to support the knife along it`s length and used threaded rod to adjust the amount of steel removed.
    noodle a method to support your knifes along their length and guide them past a belt or stone that you already possess. it`s not that hard and with a standard jib type cutterhead straight/sharp edges are more important than parallel with the back of the knife.
    for quick touch-ups sandpaper on glass works well.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

St. Louis, MO
    I use my Makita for my jointer/planer knives as well. How are your metal working skills? It seems to me that it wouldn't be difficult to make a replacement longer guide for it out of standard aluminum or stainless stock and some nuts and bolts. You wouldn't need an extruded piece if you built up a couple of pieces of bar stock on a base creating the equivelent of a mitered groove. The blade holding clamp doesn't look like rocket science either. I'd bet that for about $50 in materials and a couple of evenings you'd be set.
    I like the Makita and get good results with it. You'd probably need to spend a LOT more money to replace the entire unit than you'd spend making a new longer guide / blade holder.
    If you don't have the wherewithall, maybe you've got a friend or local shop that can help you.
    Just an idea.
    Paul Hubbman