Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Chips?

Got Chips?

I've been doing a lot of rough turning lately, trying to use up some green wood before it starts cracking on me. Although I usually clean up the shop every night after I'm done turning, I've been lazy the past few nights and let things build up a bit.

I didn't take any pics of the mound of debris under and around my lathe, but here's an indication of how much I cleaned up when I got done turning tonight. (This doesn't include the 5 to 10 gallons worth that I couldn't get to easily with a broom, so I vacuumed it up with my dust collector.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lathe Cleanup 600.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	29449

I think this represents five or six bowls, a hollow form or two, and a birdhouse that started as a 10" x 30" log.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Surprising how much of that you will make. When you have all day to make it ...
    I haven't been turning at all during the day...to busy with other stuff. But I can stay up late nights and play in the shop now.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You could always glue and compress the shavings, press them into a log form and turn that...then take those shavings, glue and compress them and press them into log form and turn that...then...
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Yep Vaughn. I know what ya mean. I finally cleaned my shop out after standing knee deep in chips. I took out about 13 scoop shovels full of chips. Flower bed mulch.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm not sure but I think that in US they sell some sort of device that compresses shavings into billets that can be burnt in the fireplace?

Composting them is another way of giving them back to nature.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Nice!

He who makes the most shavings wins? That's my kind of motto, or maybe mantra.

Hutch

P.S. If the shavings don't contain exotics, walnut, and maybe a few others, horse stables love shavings. They often pay for them by the truck load, and you may be able to get some compensation if you build up enough quantity.

If you guys are going to clean up shop, I guess I better follow suit.... my lathe is getting a little low from having to stand on that knee high pile of chips under it.
    That looks like about a 40 gallon can and I'm sure I that much or more under my lathe.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I turned a piece of fairly wet mesquite yesterday in the early evening. My wife wanted me to grill some steaks so when I got the fire going I just grabbed a couple of big handfuls of wet shavings out of my fairly substantial pile in front of the lathe and put them on the fire. MMMMMMM good mesquite smoked steaks. Now the problem, I don't think I can eat enough to get rid of all the shavings.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 03-02-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    He who makes the most shavings wins? That's my kind of motto, or maybe mantra.

Hutch

P.S. If the shavings don't contain exotics, walnut, and maybe a few others, horse stables love shavings. They often pay for them by the truck load, and you may be able to get some compensation if you build up enough quantity.
    Include yew, any spalted wood, and sawdust. Generally anything with sawdust is no good for any animals. Get rid of a lot of mine for chicken runs though and use it for paths. Can also use it for smoking (food) if it isn't treated in any way.

I have got into a habit of clearing awat the debris as I go along after losing 2 drive centres in a pile. Saw the light when I dropped a gouge and it dissapeared. Fortunately found that though. Just put my chip collector over the floor and lathe bed every now and then.

Pete

Wondering what exactly you guys do with your sawdust. Just put it out with the garbage or do you take it to a compost site?
    cheers