Got Chips?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been doing a lot of rough turning lately, trying to use up some green wood before it starts cracking on me. Although I usually clean up the shop every night after I'm done turning, I've been lazy the past few nights and let things build up a bit.

I didn't take any pics of the mound of debris under and around my lathe, but here's an indication of how much I cleaned up when I got done turning tonight. (This doesn't include the 5 to 10 gallons worth that I couldn't get to easily with a broom, so I vacuumed it up with my dust collector.)

Lathe Cleanup 600.jpg

I think this represents five or six bowls, a hollow form or two, and a birdhouse that started as a 10" x 30" log. ;)

You could always glue and compress the shavings, press them into a log form and turn that...then take those shavings, glue and compress them and press them into log form and turn that...then...:rofl::rofl:

I'm not sure but I think that in US they sell some sort of device that compresses shavings into billets that can be burnt in the fireplace?

Composting them is another way of giving them back to nature.

Nice!

He who makes the most shavings wins? That's my kind of motto, or maybe mantra. :D

Hutch

P.S. If the shavings don't contain exotics, walnut, and maybe a few others, horse stables love shavings. They often pay for them by the truck load, and you may be able to get some compensation if you build up enough quantity.

If you guys are going to clean up shop, I guess I better follow suit.... my lathe is getting a little low from having to stand on that knee high pile of chips under it.
That looks like about a 40 gallon can and I'm sure I that much or more under my lathe.

I turned a piece of fairly wet mesquite yesterday in the early evening. My wife wanted me to grill some steaks so when I got the fire going I just grabbed a couple of big handfuls of wet shavings out of my fairly substantial pile in front of the lathe and put them on the fire. MMMMMMM good mesquite smoked steaks.:) Now the problem, I don't think I can eat enough to get rid of all the shavings.

Alan

Last edited:
He who makes the most shavings wins? That's my kind of motto, or maybe mantra. :D

Hutch

P.S. If the shavings don't contain exotics, walnut, and maybe a few others, horse stables love shavings. They often pay for them by the truck load, and you may be able to get some compensation if you build up enough quantity.

Include yew, any spalted wood, and sawdust. Generally anything with sawdust is no good for any animals. Get rid of a lot of mine for chicken runs though and use it for paths. Can also use it for smoking (food) if it isn't treated in any way.

I have got into a habit of clearing awat the debris as I go along after losing 2 drive centres in a pile. :dunno: Saw the light when I dropped a gouge and it dissapeared. Fortunately found that though. Just put my chip collector over the floor and lathe bed every now and then.

Pete

Wondering what exactly you guys do with your sawdust. Just put it out with the garbage or do you take it to a compost site?

Mine all goes in the green bin in the pic (or another just like it). The city collects yard waste (including scrap unfinished lumber), mulches it, composts it, and uses the resulting mix in the city parks.

Heck, Mine goes in the stove to heat the shop. The idea of compressing the chips and returning into a bowl has got the gears turning. I notice that when I clean out the band saw after not turning on the dust collection for a while, that the stratification of different colored sawdust is kind of neat........maybe some poly resin and a mold........

Green Dump

I have also taken mine to the local green dump. You can take any green waste there for free. They are becoming more and more widespread, and you may have one near you. I would prefer to find a stable though, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. :)

Hutch

Last edited:
Billets

I'm not sure but I think that in US they sell some sort of device that compresses shavings into billets that can be burnt in the fireplace?

Composting them is another way of giving them back to nature.

yes they do, it costs around 10,000 dollars for the unit I am told. but you you need a ton of chips to feed the thing. My brother was looking at it to save the cost of disposal from his shop. He could not feed enough into it to make it pay. LOL

Joe