Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excelsior Woodworks

Excelsior Woodworks

Not sure that I have ever done a shop tour? Yesterday I got sick of looking at the mess and I spent hours cleaning up and hauling out scrap and sawdust to the burn pile. 3 loads!

Still far from clean but it is 100% better. I had really let it get cluttered.

Standing over by the door you can see my open area that I use for whatever. I can pull a car or tractor or whatever in where I was standing and park it where the boat frame is. I often set up a temporary table here while I restore a machine.

Stairwell was wasted space. So I took a old hollow core door and made me a desk under the stairs. I was given an very old dinosaur of a computer that I use for a file server and to stream music into the shop. Handy to look up stuff on the internet too.

Powermatic 100 planner to the right on wheels and an unrestored Delta scroll saw behind it. I rarely use the scroll saw. Of course the Great Pumpkin, the 12" Hall and Brown joiner. RPC is over in the corner.

4 footed Delta Shaper on wheels. I roll it out when I need it and roll it out of the way when it's not being used. My Broadhead-Garret lathe behind it. I rarely turn anything any more.

Far left, 6" jointer. The 30" bandsaw I am stalled on the restoration. I am about tired of it too and about to get it finished!! OSS and the one newish machine in my shop. The Griz bandsaw. It will be replaced with the American bandsaw once it is going.

The left wall has my 2 Craftsman drill presses and the old Wysong Mortiser down on the end.

My man eating DeWalt RAS. I know that most people don't have the space but I LOVE having the long tables. It also makes great scrap storage too.

My first restoration and the workhorse of the shop.

Last but not least my dust collection system.

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks for the great tour Jeff. I always tend to get re-inspired after a good clean out of the stuff that gathers when we aren't looking. That looks like a nice large space. What are the dimensions?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

looks pretty hi tec jeff and you didnt give the spindle sander a introduction this time plenty of light and room.. now for the stream music how does that work ????come from cable?and then out your puter to speakers?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Jeff you swept the floor before you swept the benches.
    I had to find the floor first!!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    now for the stream music how does that work ????come from cable?and then out your puter to speakers?
    I use a program called Winamp. I have a lot of music on my computer upstairs in MP3's. The computers are networked so I can play all that on the one down stairs. With Winamp I can listen to radio stations (actually just comptures) around the world. Any kind of music you can imagine. I happen to love Jazz, especially the old stuff.

I have just a cheap set of speakers hooked up right now to the computer. But I have a good set for it. I just need to a small amp and to make some brackets to mount them on the wall.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

love your d/c jeff!
    i worked that way for lotsa years..
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Last but not least my dust collection system.

Until I read this it had not occurred to me that I had seen no hoses or pipes! Lots of space!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nice setup.
    I'd always wondered what sort of equipment you had to support the temporary boat building racks i get to see in your other "project progress" threads. Thanks for sharing. I should get around to taking pics one of these days. Mine's not very glamorous or organized. Machines are all on wheels and the space shares functions with other household needs (laundry, storage, etc.) since it's in the basement.
    Enjoy.
    paulh

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Nice layout Jeff, Lots of space. I'm envious!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Mr. Horton I think we've found ourselves a space waster.

There is enough room in there to put my shop in also. From one who's used to not having enough room. Great shop Jeff!!!! I can see how you'd have enough room for it to get real messy. It looks like your shop is concrete block how is it at staying warm & what is your heat source?
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-01-2009 at 05:05 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Well this shop is the proof that the bigger the shop, the bigger the projects one makes!

Thanks for the tour Jeff. I love to see those old machines in tip top condition!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...