Excelsior Woodworks

Jeff Horton

Not sure that I have ever done a shop tour? Yesterday I got sick of looking at the mess and I spent hours cleaning up and hauling out scrap and sawdust to the burn pile. 3 loads!

Still far from clean but it is 100% better. I had really let it get cluttered.

Standing over by the door you can see my open area that I use for whatever. I can pull a car or tractor or whatever in where I was standing and park it where the boat frame is. I often set up a temporary table here while I restore a machine.

1.jpg

Stairwell was wasted space. So I took a old hollow core door and made me a desk under the stairs. I was given an very old dinosaur of a computer that I use for a file server and to stream music into the shop. Handy to look up stuff on the internet too.

2.jpg

Powermatic 100 planner to the right on wheels and an unrestored Delta scroll saw behind it. I rarely use the scroll saw. Of course the Great Pumpkin, the 12" Hall and Brown joiner. RPC is over in the corner.

3.jpg

4 footed Delta Shaper on wheels. I roll it out when I need it and roll it out of the way when it's not being used. My Broadhead-Garret lathe behind it. I rarely turn anything any more.

4.jpg

Far left, 6" jointer. The 30" bandsaw I am stalled on the restoration. I am about tired of it too and about to get it finished!! OSS and the one newish machine in my shop. The Griz bandsaw. It will be replaced with the American bandsaw once it is going.

5.jpg

The left wall has my 2 Craftsman drill presses and the old Wysong Mortiser down on the end.

6.jpg

My man eating DeWalt RAS. I know that most people don't have the space but I LOVE having the long tables. It also makes great scrap storage too.

7.jpg

My first restoration and the workhorse of the shop.

8.jpg

Last but not least my dust collection system. ;)

10.jpg

Thanks for the great tour Jeff. I always tend to get re-inspired after a good clean out of the stuff that gathers when we aren't looking. That looks like a nice large space. What are the dimensions?

looks pretty hi tec jeff:) and you didnt give the spindle sander a introduction this time:) plenty of light and room.. now for the stream music how does that work ????come from cable?and then out your puter to speakers?

Jeff you swept the floor before you swept the benches.

I had to find the floor first!!

now for the stream music how does that work ????come from cable?and then out your puter to speakers?

I use a program called Winamp. I have a lot of music on my computer upstairs in MP3's. The computers are networked so I can play all that on the one down stairs. With Winamp I can listen to radio stations (actually just comptures) around the world. Any kind of music you can imagine. I happen to love Jazz, especially the old stuff.

I have just a cheap set of speakers hooked up right now to the computer. But I have a good set for it. I just need to a small amp and to make some brackets to mount them on the wall.

Nice setup.
I'd always wondered what sort of equipment you had to support the temporary boat building racks i get to see in your other "project progress" threads. Thanks for sharing. I should get around to taking pics one of these days. Mine's not very glamorous or organized. Machines are all on wheels and the space shares functions with other household needs (laundry, storage, etc.) since it's in the basement.
Enjoy.
paulh

Mr. Horton I think we've found ourselves a space waster.:rofl:

There is enough room in there to put my shop in also:eek:. From one who's used to not having enough room.:D Great shop Jeff!!!! I can see how you'd have enough room for it to get real messy.:rofl::rofl::rofl: It looks like your shop is concrete block how is it at staying warm & what is your heat source?

Last edited:
Well this shop is the proof that the bigger the shop, the bigger the projects one makes!

Thanks for the tour Jeff. I love to see those old machines in tip top condition!

love your d/c jeff!
i worked that way for lotsa years..

If I keep building boats and working with the cedar I am going to have to install a good one. Problem is it would probably be $1500+ and I just don't have it. No sense spending less on something that would be replaced.

I have decided when I sell something to put some of the profit back toward that though.

Mr. Horton I think we've found ourselves a space waster.:rofl:

No, no. That space is put to good use!

It's roughly 30 x 40. I built this house and this space was designed to be my shop. Last house didn't even have a garage so what little I had was stored and had to be drug out to do anything and then only in fair weathers. So I know what it's like to not have a space to work.

It looks like your shop is concrete block how is it at staying warm & what is your heat source?

If you look over by the compressor you will see on little propane space heater. If it really cold (for here), freezing or below I leave it on low at night and it' will keep it in the 60's in there. Above that it will keep it plenty warm. But of course all the dirt along the walls helps. See, in the south we build daylight basements. I dug down to put in the driveway to provide access with a vehicle. The back wall is about half buried.